Finding the right alternator

So to get straight into it for the past 2-3 weeks I feel I’ve done circles trying to find a high output alternator for my 2011 Ford Focus. I’m not very knowledgeable when it comes to alternator stuff so that doesn’t make it any easier. The one alternator I could find that seems to be sold by a company that won’t scam me, is a mechman 270 amp alternator. I’m not sure what the idle amperage is and I’m not even sure how much out of that I should take out for accessories. I’m not really sure where to look or who to talk to about this so I was looking to find some tips on where I could do that here. I know it sounds a little crazy for a focus but I’m looking to get a 2000 watt rms setup and it would be a bummer to find out I can’t do that because my car doesn’t have anything I can do to get that type of power. 

That mechman wont do you wrong. That's plenty with a decent battery for 2k. PCM means the computer of the car controls your alt. Some gas saving features I believe. Complete crap for what we do but there are workarounds as stated above.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

2 hours ago, Mike4068 said:

My jeep is pcm controlled and I'm not externally regulated. No issues running ho alt, 2 batteries, and 4500 watts. 

Luckily Chryslers PCM stuff generally keeps you above 14. Not the case with other brands.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

You request it from the company building the alt. For instance I went with internally bypassed 14.8 volt for my Ford escape. The focus is same kind of vehicle in regards to engine control systems 

Note this though, either way, internal bypass or external regulation, is going to cause your low charge battery light to come on. That's just cosmetic and will not effect the Fords in any way.  Good idea would to be to run a LCD volt meter of some type so you can take over monitoring voltage instead of the PCM

As said above, in regards to Chrysler they keep it high enough were it's not issue. (I love how people can't wait to try to check nuts and then realize thier situation is different and completely gave wrong advice 😀)

Archived