Second Skin Audio

2 15s 4th order blow through help

VirginBanger

I’m attempting to build my first 4th order would like some input from some experienced builders.. going to be running 2 15” sound stream T5.152 at half ohm on a t1.6000 soundstream amp. Was thinking of a 4 cube net sealed chamber with an 8 Cube net ported chamber with 156 Sq inches of port tuned to 45 hz. I do not have access to a computer or modeling software, should this set up play fairly loud and low? Those are the two main goals. Attached are the T/S of the subs as well as a recommended sealed enclosure chart that includes QTC and tuning frequency 

C40EABEE-9B2F-43BB-BC69-86F13551DA95.jpeg

B74B459C-6154-4206-A461-A948EFA3F848.jpeg

As far as your box specs go, those look pretty good.  The subs you have should perform well in a 4th order bandpass box.  The only change I would make would be to increase your port area.  I would shoot for 200 sq in of port area.  Since all the output comes out the port on a bandpass box, they are very sensitive to port noise and port compression.  

As far as meeting your goal of getting loud and low, things get more iffy.  The box will certainly get loud, however like most ported boxes, you are likely to get your max output around the tuning frequency and bandpass boxes are tuned higher.  Here is a graph showing the raw output from both your intended bandpass box (in red) and a 8 cu ft ported box tuned to 32 hz (in green).  Please note this graph does not include the effects of cabin gain, which will boost low frequency output significantly.  Cabin gain should boost both enclosure's output roughly the same so the comparison is still valid.  

image.png.82791686f89fbcc72248074b27308888.png

The ported box is probably going to have more output between 35 Hz down to around 25 Hz.   The bandpass will do better above and below that range.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

2 minutes ago, AaronT said:

I can help a bit.

I have no experience with 4th orders. But you really may want to consider a better amp. 

The subs he has don't have huge Xmax, if he runs any more power than the amp he has is likely to put out, he will probably have issues with over-excursion.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks for the input, would there be a down side to shifting the tuning down to 40hz? Getting the port area up to 200 is possible, just a bigger hole to cut in the metal. Question about the port and tuning, the internal Height measurement of the box is 14”, I was planning on using 1/2” birch slid into and attached to the outter walls of the box, making the port height 13”. would this be considered a slot port for tuning purposes? 

Archived