Second Skin Audio

2 15s 4th order blow through help

VirginBanger

8 hours ago, VirginBanger said:

Thanks for the input, would there be a down side to shifting the tuning down to 40hz? Getting the port area up to 200 is possible, just a bigger hole to cut in the metal. Question about the port and tuning, the internal Height measurement of the box is 14”, I was planning on using 1/2” birch slid into and attached to the outter walls of the box, making the port height 13”. would this be considered a slot port for tuning purposes? 

Lowering the tuning frequency will give you better low frequency output, at the expense of higher frequency output.  Its hard to say if that is going to be what you want without hearing the system first.  My suggestion would be to make the port removable or otherwise adjustable so you can play with the tuning frequency once you get the system playing.  

What you are describing for using 1/2" material for the port and sliding it into the box would be considered a slot port.  It would be a 2 common wall slot port.  While you can use 1/2 material for the top and bottom of the port, I would strongly suggest using 3/4" material for the sides of the port since they will be unsupported.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks, so since it’s considered a slot port then the port length will be shorter due to the fact that the common walls are taken into consideration? Definitely making the port easily adjustable, making the blow through and box with the same size opening and making the port where it can slide into both snug. Figured I’d start off with a low tune and cut the port length down in size if need be. 

18 hours ago, VirginBanger said:

Would I see a noticeable  increase in output if I increased the ported chamber to 12 cubes? 

You will see an increase from making the front chamber larger.  Will it be noticeable to the ear? Probably not.  Will it be measurable on the dB meter, probably yes.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived