Quality alt doesn't exist? Anyone have suggestions?

Okay, more information:

With vehicle turned off, no accessory turned on, I measure 12.63VDC at the battery

With vehicle turned on, alt engaged and no accessory, I measure 14.54VDC at the battery

With vehicle turned on, alt engaged, and EVERY accessory turned on, I measure ~13.03-14.2 VDC depending on how hard the system is hitting.

Again, I'm not sure if the CVT trans has any sway on Voltage pull, but hard to test this one with a DMM while driving.

Called CES, good call on that one AaronT! $395 for 210A idle, 270A alt, with direct fitment.

This information being out there now, which direction should I go?

Additional/replacement battery? Big 3 and alt? Both?

I might also mention, that my 6x9's are also being underpowered right now and only getting maybe half the watts they will take. Thought about throwing in a secondary amp to drive them as well. Not near as big a deal though. And again, the voltage readings are with the amp gain set to about half.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a 2004 grand Prix.

1 12" xfl, on t1500-1bdcp

Ran a t600 on fronts, t400 on rear.

Group 78 agm under hood and 2 kinetic hc700 in rear (the small 22 ah ones) I too had stock alt, and with system full tilt and everything on (fig lights heater, heated seat, interior lights, etc) I'd drop into the high 12s (12.8-12.9) butvmistjy stated above 13.

But I'm a nervous nelly and OCD as well so I just had to have a ho alt  for it. I went with a 250 amp.

It was night and day when I installed the alt. The bass just had way more balls, that non stop feel it in your chest type of knock.

If you got the coin to spare ho all day

I wouldn't use CES anymore but that's my personal opinion. I would use Brand X Electrical. But as stated before

Big 3 and an XS power batt are all you need. But it doeant hurt to get an alternator. 

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

1 hour ago, AaronT said:

Ces is sometimes the only option for certain vehicles.

What was your negative experience with ces?

None. I just followed Jonathan Patrick when he left. I have 2 CES and a Brand X. That's why I said it's a personal opinion.

Sitting around waiting to be installed:

4 FI X 10

270 CES alt

D3400/73ah lithium

AA 3800.1

(2) AA 75.4

• 2 weeks later...

Archived