Second Skin Audio

Help with port size?

Camncars

Hello. I am fairly new to box building and ports.  I have a 3 cubic foot internal box, subwoofer displacement of .093 cubic feet.  I want to go with dual ports.  I have 3 inch and 4 inch diameter pvc pipe.  What would you recommend, single or dual ports and 3 or 4 inches diameter?  The sub instructions say tune to 27 hz.  It is for home audio use.  Its a jl 13.5w3v3. Is that a good number to tune?  Any help on port size would be great, I am ready to cut the holes and pipe now.  

I would use two 4" ports, they are going to have to be about 30" long each, they are going to take up about .5 cubes of internal space and that's still not going to get you quite to 27 Hz.  Making them any longer to try to get to a 27 hz tuning is just going to take up even more box space. 

For future reference, you REALLY need to know how you are going to do your ports before you start cutting wood.  Adding ports after the box has already been built almost always results in difficulties.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Thanks for your reply.  I should be able to squeeze that in with the use of a 90 degree elbow.  Question, is it okay if a few inches or more stick out of the box, would that be better to do to keep more internal box volume?  I really dont care how it looks with pipes sticking out, it's kind of an experimental box for now. And there is plenty of room since it is for home and not a car trunk.   

No problem with having the ports sticking out of the box.  As long as you don't mind how it looks it will help preserve some of your internal volume.  

"Nothing prevents people from knowing the truth more than the belief they already know it."
"Making bass is easy, making music is the hard part."

Builds:

U7qkMTL.jpg  LgPgE9w.jpg  Od2G3u1.jpg  xMyLoO1.jpg  9pAlXUK.jpg

Archived