Second Skin Audio

Deciding between 2 sundown subs, small area

Cbillings1985

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide between buying an E10 or an SA8. I have a Chevy spark hatch back so not very much room at all and I'd like to preserve as much space in the back while still getting the most output.  I have a pioneer D9705 600w @2ohm RMS.  I have no experience with either sub for hearing them.  Which one is going to give the most output to fill the car, I am very skeptical that an 8 will not be enough which is why I lean towards the E10. I don't want to go with the SA10 because of the box size. Both of these I would put in ported boxes.  I am sure some would suggest an SD12 since it would fit, I just don't know how they sound.

I listen to rock, rap, and some Alternative pop.

The box I planned out for an E10 is a wedge shape to fit in the side of the hatch and against the rear seat to take all usable space. It would fire at the other side of the hatch,same for the port. I've been using some online calculators to figure it so hoping it's a good design.  This is the absolute largest box i would consider.

1.392 gross, .11 for the sub, .247 port volume leaving 1.035 net.  It's 20.5" tall 18" bottom width 10.625 top width and 12" depth.

I would add more pics but it will not allow me.  Thanks for any advice and opinions.

IMG_20191011_130336__01__01__01__01.jpg

You might even enjoy a dual 8 or single 10 sealed box bro. Ported will definitely give you higher output but sealed could get you what your looking for so don't dismiss it so easily. 

I will say I love my SA12s so I'm sure the 8's are just as good. If output is your goal then get a single 10 or a single 8 ported, simple cone area advantage. Unless you can fit two 8s in there. 

30 minutes ago, AaronT said:

Between the 2 I'd run the sa 8 v (whatever newest version is, I think it's at 5 or 6 now)  it should piss on the e10 all day

And no sd12. You'll be disappointed

Just an opinion and I am a sundown nut hugger. I wasnt impressed with the 8s.  I like the e 10.  And I love the sd3 series.  I've never been disappointed in the sd3 series 

2 hours ago, AdamSR said:

I would go with one 10. Why are you dead set on going with sundown? I'm not saying anything bad about them, it's just you can find just as good subs for a whole lot cheaper.

Several friends recommend sundown and heard a friend's x12 sounded great and he is only running 400 watts. Last system I had was an Orion H2 15 on 1500 watts about 16 years ago.  I have no interest in the Orion subs offered now.

4 hours ago, AaronT said:

Between the 2 I'd run the sa 8 v (whatever newest version is, I think it's at 5 or 6 now)  it should piss on the e10 all day

Even with cone size difference you think output will be higher with the 8? I'd like to play decently low, doesn't have to make me deaf but I'd like to feel it a bit the punch and rumble.

2 hours ago, AdamSR said:

I would go with one 10. Why are you dead set on going with sundown? I'm not saying anything bad about them, it's just you can find just as good subs for a whole lot cheaper.

Suggestions on other subs equal and cheaper? I assume Skar. I have looked at their offerings but their subs of equal specs need larger enclosures from what I have found. But I'm willing to look at others

Archived