Looking for some decent 5.25" speakers

Scotnemily

Well I got the radio installed, at least mostly. It has been raining all evening so I didn’t do much else after work. I got the new steering wheel control interface hooked up and programmed. I have everything behind the radio hooked up. Just have to do things like route usb cable to a place it can be easily accessed. Route the Mic, stuff like that. Radio is fastened in though.

1psQabe.jpg

on to those mids. Sorry pictures are crap. It was dark and raining. I was tying to hold it and take pictures. I will post better ones tomorrow. But for now here is what I have.

Here it is in that small door section where the factory one was.

E3lV2ss.jpg

here is the other place I was thinking about. I don’t think it is going to fit in either place. 

2edOs7d.jpg

I am out of ideas currently how to fit this in, or where to place them.

Ok here are a few more pictures of the problem.

here is the factory location on the door panel. kappa is scaled close to the size with the cover, not just the speaker as shown. (couldn't find a straight on pic of the cover)

Qqi9XAC.png

it wont fit here.

I thought what if I moved it down the door a little.

D7nBic2.png

the problem with the picture above is not only is it running into the factory door speaker cover, the factory door speaker cover is undersized for the speaker behind it. it definitely won't fit here. The only place I could think of in the door is this next picture.

S1w6HZz.png

In this one it would fit on the front side. I am doubtful if it would fit on the back side. and I might not even know until I cut a hole in the door. I think I could find out before I cut, but there is always a chance it wouldn't work. one issue with the above picture is the factory door speaker. I think there would be an interference. the kappa might be able to be moved to the left enough to clear. not sure though. Also I wanted the kappa mounted higher to help bring the sound stage up. I really didn't want it to be lower. However I might not have much of a choice if I want to use it, which I do. I don't think I can mount it to the a pillar either, not that I was wanting to do that. the only other place I can think of, is if i make that door pocket fit the CT sounds speaker like I was thinking, then I could fit it there with it. Again that puts it lower then I want. I could really use some help here with ideas. thanks!  

Can someone please do me a favor and look over the manual for setting the xover on my amp.

http://www.precisionpower.com/Manuals/Amplifier Manuals/Precision_Power_Art Series Ax606.2 Amplifier.pdf

I was planning on running the dome mids on the front/highpass channel and the front components on bandpass 1 with the rear coaxial on bandpass 2. after reading through the manual again, I think the dome mids should be on bandpass 1 and the rear coaxials on bandpass 2 but the front components should be on the highpass.

If I am reading it correctly if I set the components on high pass then I can set them to get the signal of say 50hz-20khz with their passive crossover doing the rest of the work.

Then I can set bandpass 1 at 401 hz-7 khz letting their passive crossover  do the rest.

Maybe it doesn't matter since I will have some passive crossovers hooked up anyway, but I would like to have another opinion on the correct settings. I have been out of this for a while and I may be overlooking something really simple please don't be afraid to just call me a dumb A$$ and tell me the correct settings if I am way off. Thanks!

I hooked the kappas up in the car. They sound really good. I placed them in the factory location to test sound. Then dropped them down to where I was thinking about adding the other speaker. It really didn’t change the sound that much. Not enough to go through the hassle of cutting the door panel higher up.

also a good thing. The door panel pocket comes off really easily. Leaving me with a nice clean surface and easy to shape panel.

ov4Gya6.jpg

this means I am definitely adding the ct sounds speakers and the dome mids down here. I might try to wrap the new panel in vinyl. I would like to have a similar texture to the factory door panel and I don’t think it is going to look good painted.

spacer.png

SEM makes panel texture in a spray can and can match your interior color to do your self. The products are out there just thought i would inform you.

I designed, fabricated and put the finish on my door panels. Kick panel original but i modded it to house a RF P3SD4 8".

spacer.png

03 Lancer front stage + 6.5" T1 components in rear doors. 2 SQ HDS 310's firing into the cab from trunk. 2 RF P500-4 for mids & highs. 2 SQ amps for mid-bass & bass.  Systems out put is around 4,250 watts.

23 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

Ok here are a few more pictures of the problem.

here is the factory location on the door panel. kappa is scaled close to the size with the cover, not just the speaker as shown. (couldn't find a straight on pic of the cover)

Qqi9XAC.png

it wont fit here.

I thought what if I moved it down the door a little.

D7nBic2.png

the problem with the picture above is not only is it running into the factory door speaker cover, the factory door speaker cover is undersized for the speaker behind it. it definitely won't fit here. The only place I could think of in the door is this next picture.

S1w6HZz.png

In this one it would fit on the front side. I am doubtful if it would fit on the back side. and I might not even know until I cut a hole in the door. I think I could find out before I cut, but there is always a chance it wouldn't work. one issue with the above picture is the factory door speaker. I think there would be an interference. the kappa might be able to be moved to the left enough to clear. not sure though. Also I wanted the kappa mounted higher to help bring the sound stage up. I really didn't want it to be lower. However I might not have much of a choice if I want to use it, which I do. I don't think I can mount it to the a pillar either, not that I was wanting to do that. the only other place I can think of, is if i make that door pocket fit the CT sounds speaker like I was thinking, then I could fit it there with it. Again that puts it lower then I want. I could really use some help here with ideas. thanks!  

I like the last pic of mid placement, as long as it doesn't get blocked any by dash components, I'd go for it. I personally am a fan of face mounted speakers, I don't wanna hide my speakers any if I can. Looks like it's coming along well, can't wait to see vids of it all up and running.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

10 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

spacer.png

SEM makes panel texture in a spray can and can match your interior color to do your self. The products are out there just thought i would inform you.

I designed, fabricated and put the finish on my door panels. Kick panel original but i modded it to house a RF P3SD4 8".

spacer.png

03 Lancer front stage + 6.5" T1 components in rear doors. 2 SQ HDS 310's firing into the cab from trunk. 2 RF P500-4 for mids & highs. 2 SQ amps for mid-bass & bass.  Systems out put is around 4,250 watts.

Thanks! looks good. now that you say that I remember seeing that on one of the CAF videos.

now, im all for you making the pod for the CTs, as for the mids n tweets... have you thought about making A pillar pods?  you could have the mid and tweet aimed at the driver and passenger for good imaging and have your midbass in the doors.  not trying to add to your already full plate, but something to think about, plus you could do them inside (if you have a spot to do the work)

I did think about putting them on the a pillars, but as large as they are when I hold them up there I think they would look out of place. Plus if I am making a panel for the ct sounds speaker, it will be easy to add them there. I think I will probably put the ct sounds tweeter where the factory mini mid was.

29 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

I did think about putting them on the a pillars, but as large as they are when I hold them up there I think they would look out of place. Plus if I am making a panel for the ct sounds speaker, it will be easy to add them there. I think I will probably put the ct sounds tweeter where the factory mini mid was.

yeah that's a good solution too, and easier :)  doing pillar pods can be a ton of work, plus theyre super visible so youd want to be a perfectionist.  or at least, i would.  which is why i havent made any yet 😅

Archived