Looking for some decent 5.25" speakers

Scotnemily

1 hour ago, bcbrassard said:

Stock speaker was pretty beefy. nice surround but with that paper cone would have failed sooner or later.  Those new speakers look like they should last awhile.

That was actually a stock speaker from my 1996 740il it is a DVC 8 ohm speaker. same exact size as my 2001 has. My 01 is a single coil 4 ohm though, and the surround was shot on it.

Here is how I plan on hooking up the a606.2
Infinity kappa 20mx on front channel. 
Infinity primus front doors on bandpass 1.
Kenwood coaxials on bandpass 2.

Each will be able to have the gain adjusted to balance them out.
If I add the ct sounds mid bass they will go on the bandpass 1 channel making it a 2ohm ,load with the primus.

I guess as long as you can tune it to sound the way you want. Not sure what your goals are with the build? Infinity is pretty good equipment. I ran a full infinity system in my son's 95 Camery. 6 speakers plus to 2 RF P2 12" subs in a RF box. It got loud and sounded pretty good. It was back before i knew how to tune so i was going for loud & clear i guess. That was 11 yrs ago. Been on this website for almost 10 yrs and have learned a shit ton.

My end goal is to have something that sounds good and get loud. I also want to be able to go more bass heavy when I am in the mood. A hold over from my spl days.

another change in plans. I was working to fit an old single din kenwood I had laying around in my dash. It is really too deep and I knew I was going to upgrade the radio in the next few months. I decided it was more trouble trying to make this work then it was worth. I just ordered a Kenwood DMX706s. It will be in Saturday. It has around a 75mm mounting depth.

If I am going about it wrong then feel free to speak up. I always try to stay open minded. I will admit I have been out of this for a long time. I know many here know a lot more than I do. Sure I understand what might sound good to me doesn’t to someone else, but I’m general I am sure I would be pretty happy with what most others think sounds good. I will have to find the right mix of the mids and highs with the subs to get what I like. But if they way I have stated to wire this is not a good idea, like I said I am open.

thanks

Ok so I did a sound test tonight in the house. Running off head unit power. Also not very loud as everyone else is asleep. I think I am really going to like the primus speakers. Good sound. Didn’t get much bass, but that is more than likely due to the volume I had it at. The dome mids are a hole other story. WOW! There is no doubt I like them. They are definitely overpowering though and will need to be turned down a little. They sound great very crisp. The vocals coming out of them are awesome. They are just louder than the primus. But with a little fading on the head unit they blended very good. It was pretty amazing actually. I would unhook the dome mid and start playing a song. It would sound good. Then hook up the dome mid and night and day difference. You couldn’t tell by looking at them which one was doing the bulk of the vocals, but they with them hooked up the midrange is so much fuller and crips. Songs like free fallin and shook me all night sounded really good. I can’t wait until tomorrow morning to crank it up. And this is on just the head unit power no amp. The primus is in an extra door pod, but not sealed so it will sound even better if it was sealed up. My only semi complaint so far, and not hardly fair under the circumstances is the tweeter isn’t quite as loud as I would like. There is probably a switch on the crossover but I have’s looked yet. The dome mid seems to play pretty high though as it also filled in the higher notes very well.

looks like there is no adjustment on the tweeter so that is kind of a bummer. Might come to life better at higher volumes.

13 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

I guess as long as you can tune it to sound the way you want. Not sure what your goals are with the build? Infinity is pretty good equipment. I ran a full infinity system in my son's 95 Camery. 6 speakers plus to 2 RF P2 12" subs in a RF box. It got loud and sounded pretty good. It was back before i knew how to tune so i was going for loud & clear i guess. That was 11 yrs ago. Been on this website for almost 10 yrs and have learned a shit ton.

Same thing with me. All my life it was fill every factory location with good coaxs or comps, amp them and amp subs. Loud n clear.

Step mom worked at best buy. This was around 1999-2001 era. They sold Rockford. And employee discount on car audio was around 80-85% no shit 

Had a 79 coupe with 6 p2s and a 800a2 for every pair and I forget what amp on highs. I think it was a Kenwood.

Sorry for the derail

I hooked my buddies jeep up with all infinity reference mids/highs. Has regular components in door and tweeters in sail panel , he wanted a bit more so I got him a set of reference ( maybe kappa don't remember) 3.5" for the stock dash location and used the audio pipe 3 way passive xover on a soundstream 5 channel and I tell you it sounded amazing. Honestly it is about the only setup I've done that with eq on flat I didn't feel it needs any tweaking to make it sound right. The Primus series is a solid choice for any setup, budget or not. I have used them in 2 dozen installs in the past year and a half and they have yet to dissapoint.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

The tweeters sounded better this morning with the radio turned up. I am sure the hole thing will sound better off from the amp vs the head unit. I hope to make progress this weekend. Unfortunately I have other jobs that take priority over the car audio. as much as I would rather push them to the side, I have to do them first. I would like to get the speaker wires hooked to to the amp at a minimum. that way I can start adding things and when I put the radio in I will be set.

Just A quick update. I got the new radio in the mail. I worked on the bezel and mount for it. I have the radio ready to go in, just waiting on the new steering wheel interface to come in the mail. I have to wire it in, then put the radio in the dash. I have one of the Primus speakers in the front passenger door. I have the Primus xover wired up and all all of the wires that will be running to the speakers wired to the amp.

1. I still need to finish running the antenna extension to the trunk.

2. I need to wire in the steering wheel control. once that is done radio will go in the dash.

3. I need to run the remote power wire to the amp. (wire is already ran to the trunk)

4. I have to wire the kappas and their xovers to the wire at the door. then I can try to mount the 1st kappa. once I get the figured out I will do a sound test of the first door to make sure it is all working before I put the panel back on.

5. Do the other 3 doors. the back doors will go faster since it is just a speaker swap no wire splicing, soldering, heat shrink ect...

I hope to get the steering wheel controls working tonight. along with the kappas wired in. It would be nice if I get a chance to get the remote power wire ran too, so I would then be able to turn it on. It will depend on when I get home tonight.

Ok I finally took a few minutes and looked at the space I really have to work with for the kappa 20mx speakers. It isn’t good. The speakers have to have the grill on to protect the speaker. The dome sticks out past the frame. This make fitment even more of a problem. That combined with the limited mounting depth is going to make this really difficult. The speaker is about 1.5”-2” too tall for a start. The 2nd thing is it is about 1” to large diameter with the cover on it. Here is the space I have in the factory location. 
keS3cqF.jpg

i will post dimensions of the space later. It is small though. And the metal on the door is so thin in this area even if I cut into the door, I am not going to gain much more then .25”. Even if I managed to gain a full half inch it isn’t enough. On top of that there isn’t clearance for it to stick out even if I wanted it mounted like that. 

Z603TRg.jpg

the Kappa dome cover reaches from above where the door panel starts down into the wood trim. The only thing I can think of is to try to mold something that fits in the space below.

Vyfmcer.jpg

Here it is with the door closed. I am not sure if it is even going to be an option yet.  It sure if it will fit.

qlLDiVI.jpg

Archived