Looking for some decent 5.25" speakers

Scotnemily

50mm Kappas coming in today. Primus speakers will be in Wednesday. I probably won't get a chance to work on it until saturday. over this past weekend I took all of the audio equipment out and ran 6 channel RCA to the rear of the car. I am waiting on a few things to come in the mail before I can start putting everything back together. Car is drivable, but no audio. I will probably try test fitting the Kapps in the door panels tonight, but as far as putting it in the car or listening to it, it will be a while. I'll update as I make progress.

Ok I got the kappas in the mail today. First they look really nice. They are packaged nice. Only complaint is they don’t come with the speaker wire. They do come with a very short 8” or so cable to connect the crossover to another infinity crossover. No speaker wire is not a huge deal but i don’t currently have anything small enough to fit the speaker terminals. It is going to take some research and a little time to find something to connect to them. A step that I don’t think should be necessary. Next on to fitment. They are closer to 75mm then 50mm. sure the speaker might be 50mm but the frame that is made to it is like 78mm according to the specs. Something I should have caught before buying, but if I did I forgot while I as in the research stage. Here are some pics.

LYjnH6w.jpg

the one on the right is the factory. Left is the kappa.

iygLFtG.jpg

also that is actually a speaker from my older Bimmer. It was an 8 ohm. My newer is a 4 ohm and a different manufacturer. Same size though.

Here is the place I was going to mount it with the kappa seen behind it. Note also my mounting bracket is almost the same size, but it is an oblong shape not the full round shape like the kappa. 
xglloEF.jpg

Last here is my factory speaker setting on the kappa.

sKMS5uH.jpg

they are really not as much difference in diameter as the other pictures made it look. Mostly just the shape and mounting flange keep it from fitting. I think I can still use them in the same location, just mounted to the door and not the cover like the factory was. I have to check and see.

Not much happening right now it has been cold and raining for the past few days. I got the infinity primus speakers in today. Here are a few pic next to stock speaker.

Here they are side by side.

4JAFqHj.jpg

here is a shot to show mounting depth.

SQK1IDf.jpg

and the last is the infinity setting on top of the factory speaker.

xk7siKa.jpg

Man those 5.25s look slick! The 6.5 don't have the infinity logo on em like those do, I would have mounted em from the outside if they did! And just saw the 5.25 only rated at 55rms, the 6.5 is 80rms. Can't imagine the two are that different, wonder why the big gap in rms

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

Thanks! Not sure why they wouldn't handel closer to the same rms. I hope they sound good. I have had plenty of Infinity in the past, so I am sure they will at least sound decent. I am dieing to hook them up just to hear them. I might even hook them up to a test bench in the house just to play something through them. :) 

One bonus is the tweeter is the exact same size as my stock tweeter so it was a simple swap. I didn't even check that when ordering. I figured I would just make it fit...

52 minutes ago, ehall8702 said:

Man those 5.25s look slick! The 6.5 don't have the infinity logo on em like those do, I would have mounted em from the outside if they did! And just saw the 5.25 only rated at 55rms, the 6.5 is 80rms. Can't imagine the two are that different, wonder why the big gap in rms

Coil size maybe. 25 watt difference seem about right though. Could have something to do with Frequencies they can play without blowing as well. 

Stock speaker was pretty beefy. nice surround but with that paper cone would have failed sooner or later.  Those new speakers look like they should last awhile.

On 10/25/2019 at 3:13 PM, Scotnemily said:

Kind of what I am afraid of. I will be running around 2400-3000 rms to 2 American Bass xr12's Won't be going full tilt all the time, but I knew I was going to have to increase the mids.

The Reference are 5db more sensitive, but I haven't heard either. If you say there wasn't much if any noticable difference then I don't want to pay the extra $80 for the reference.

https://www.crutchfield.com/Product/CompareTo.aspx?g=410&cc=01&compareItems=01|108P5010CM&compareItems=01|108R5030CM

FWIW I was running 2k rms to 2 american bass XFLs in my e39 and the CTs kept up with 200 rms to each door and 200 to each in the rear fill.

4 minutes ago, bmwking said:

FWIW I was running 2k rms to 2 american bass XFLs in my e39 and the CTs kept up with 200 rms to each door and 200 to each in the rear fill.

I wanted to try the CT s after I cooked my infinity reference but I went with the pioneer pros instead, had to play with placement to keep em from being too harsh but I really like em, think I'm gonna get the cts for my gf truck just cause haven't heard a bad word about em yet.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

1 minute ago, ehall8702 said:

I wanted to try the CT s after I cooked my infinity reference but I went with the pioneer pros instead, had to play with placement to keep em from being too harsh but I really like em, think I'm gonna get the cts for my gf truck just cause haven't heard a bad word about em yet.

people talk shit about em and how long they waited for preorders n stuff, but when it comes down to quality, man they really are stellar for the price.  i've used meso 5.25 and 6.5 components, 5.25 meso coaxs, strato PA 6.5, meso 6.5 subs, 4" PA super tweets, meso 8 subs, the t300.1 amp, t500.1, and at200.4

loved all of em and zero issues.

shit i sound like a fanboy.  im just cheap really, and like getting an awesome value.  CT ticked those boxes for me

Archived