Looking for some decent 5.25" speakers

Scotnemily

Yeah that is my main problem I am not convinced I could make any I could be happy enough with. If someone else did them it might be different but I would pick out any little spot and only focus on it. 
only A pillars I ever did was in my old 96 s10 blazer. I used it in spl competitions in the late 90’s. I also had a pretty good sq vehicle though I didn’t compete. I had some infinity EMIT ribbon tweeters I flush mounted into the A pillars. Those were so thin I didn’t have to make any pods. 
the bimmer also has cloth covered a pillars. Not sure yet though if that was going to help or make it harder for me if I did them. In the end though I decided to go lower not just because it is easier, but after placing them in a few different locations they didn’t really change anything much being 18” lower then were I was going to put them.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/6/2019 at 1:46 AM, bcbrassard said:

spacer.png

SEM makes panel texture in a spray can and can match your interior color to do your self. The products are out there just thought i would inform you.

I designed, fabricated and put the finish on my door panels. Kick panel original but i modded it to house a RF P3SD4 8".

spacer.png

03 Lancer front stage + 6.5" T1 components in rear doors. 2 SQ HDS 310's firing into the cab from trunk. 2 RF P500-4 for mids & highs. 2 SQ amps for mid-bass & bass.  Systems out put is around 4,250 watts.

Your panels look really good.

Right not I am thing of something close to this mock up.

v9hAvDQ.png

zyhq6zi.png

WYwrHPT.png

I might change the curves some, and I am not really totally happy with the front flat section. I might do a similar blend like on the right side. Now I just wish I could do it as easy in real life as I can on the computer.  This is only me trying to come up with an idea. I was hoping for something more simple than this, so I could just use a few layers of wood and bevel the edges with the router. maybe shape some pink foam insulation for everything except where the speaker mounts. If I covered it in vinyl then it wouldn't matter is the profile was built up from foam. it is just to get the shape and something to stick the vinyl to. I don't want this to be a long project I never finish. :)

Just a quick update. All factory speakers replaced. 2 kenwood coaxials in the rear doors. The primus infinity components in the front doors. Sound is way better then it was before. I am still planning on adding the ct sounds components and the kappa 20mx. Might be a while though.  

Here is what I think I am going to try for.

VQ2SHUm.png

I was thinking about using a 3d printer since I have the 3d models for the part. I don't think I am going to wait that long before I start on something. I am probably going to start fabbing it tonight. See how far I get. I may end up starting over a few times. I will probably start a new thread on building the door pod, since it has gotten away from picking out the speakers. I already go the help with that. Thanks to everyone for the help!

thats gonna look and sound awesome, providing it's not too far back and blocked by the seat bottom.  did you check for clearance?  is that going to be a sealed enclosure for the ct midbass?  if youre gonna go all out on it with a 3d printer, i wonder how hard it would be to make it a ported enclosure for the mid...

2 minutes ago, bmwking said:

thats gonna look and sound awesome, providing it's not too far back and blocked by the seat bottom.  did you check for clearance?  is that going to be a sealed enclosure for the ct midbass?  if youre gonna go all out on it with a 3d printer, i wonder how hard it would be to make it a ported enclosure for the mid...

Thanks! Yeah I check the clearances. it isn't going to stick out any further than then stock pocket does or at least that is the plan. It is in front of the seat so no issue there. I was planning on making the panel fasten on using the same holes as the stock pocet does. I am planning on sealing under it with silicone or something like that. the Ct sounds will have the air space from this panel and the empty pocket in the back of the panel which is fairly large. I think the 2 spaces combines will give a good air space for the speaker. The Mid won't actually be open in the back. It will have a small hole for the wires, but will be sealed. that is the plan at least. I found a 3d printer I was thinking about using. going to have to wait to purchase it. I figured even if it is printed I might have to re-enforce it some. If I fiberglass, what I am hoping to do is stretch a knit cloth over it and smooth it out. I will put the resin on that. then on the back side I will add the fiberglass and resin. that way the front won't require as much sanding and body filler. especially if I wrap it. I will play around with it some. going to be in the 20's (F) here for the next few days and I don't have a heated space to work in, so not sure what I will get done tonight after work. maybe not much....

As far the ported enclosure that is an interesting thought.... :)

6 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

Thanks! Yeah I check the clearances. it isn't going to stick out any further than then stock pocket does or at least that is the plan. It is in front of the seat so no issue there. I was planning on making the panel fasten on using the same holes as the stock pocet does. I am planning on sealing under it with silicone or something like that. the Ct sounds will have the air space from this panel and the empty pocket in the back of the panel which is fairly large. I think the 2 spaces combines will give a good air space for the speaker. The Mid won't actually be open in the back. It will have a small hole for the wires, but will be sealed. that is the plan at least. I found a 3d printer I was thinking about using. going to have to wait to purchase it. I figured even if it is printed I might have to re-enforce it some. If I fiberglass, what I am hoping to do is stretch a knit cloth over it and smooth it out. I will put the resin on that. then on the back side I will add the fiberglass and resin. that way the front won't require as much sanding and body filler. especially if I wrap it. I will play around with it some. going to be in the 20's (F) here for the next few days and I don't have a heated space to work in, so not sure what I will get done tonight after work. maybe not much....

As far the ported enclosure that is an interesting thought.... :)

all of those are good things!  minus the weather related bs, and i feel ya, got our first 6" of snow so far today here in southeast MI and it's not letting up until tomorrow morning.  super.

and yeah dont rack your brain about making it ported, but maybe something to think about for doors 2.0 :) I know i've always wanted to see it done, and in maybe a less expensive/over the top way than the bmw build log that's pinned in the build log section.  that guy is nuts and way beyond my skill level with his quality

Just curious if anyone would have a recommendation for a ported box Volvo for these ct sounds mids, and recommend port size and length. I would like to play with the idea I little in the 3D model. If I did go with a 3D printed version the port would be simple to print if I can fit it in there.

Archived