Looking for some decent 5.25" speakers

Scotnemily

Never mind. I think the port is not going to fit very easily. It would need to be an oval shape and probably too small. thanks for the idea, I did enjoy playing around with it in the model.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would still almost prefer to pay someone to build these. Not that I think I can't do it, but realistically it might be 6 months before I do much with them due to weather. It would be nice to just have them made and fasten them to my door panel. I could then just swap door panels in 30 mins or so. Obviously someone local would be best I could just give them the extra door panels so they would have them to use for a template. Anyway if someone is interested in doing them, send me a PM with a rough price and I will definitely think about it.

Here is a picture for reference for the placement of the door panel vs where the seat is. sorry it is a bad quality. But it should give a good idea how the proposed speaker will set in the car.

yBQNe3q.jpg

Ok looking at my proposed design, and thinking about it, I realize something keeps looking off to me. I think it is the concept of using the speaker cover with a design like i posted. I think it would look better without the cover. However I don't want to leave the cover off, since I have  2 kids that ride in the car. The speakers might get damaged. I had another idea. it would look something like this.

v2RuxoU.png

this one has an inset and would use a press fit panel to cover the speakers. kind of hard to see in the view.

7mADfMb.png

And here it is with the cover.

mCbMz4Q.png

Thanks. I am not sure which way I will go. I also might do contrasting colors one of the parts might be black. There is already black and gray both on the door panel. 

10 hours ago, Scotnemily said:

Thanks. I am not sure which way I will go. I also might do contrasting colors one of the parts might be black. There is already black and gray both on the door panel. 

i'd try to keep with the theme of the oem panel, but that's just my taste, everybody's different :)  also, i can't really tell, but if you havent, have you thought about angling the midbass towards the passengers a little?  I mean if youre going full custom panel you may as well give it some tilt instead of a flat panel.  providing theres enough mounting depth obv

yeah it is hard to tell from those pics. Both speakers are aimed towards listeners. Overall shape and design still might change. I have cut the board base for the first panel. Now I will start mocking something up as I get a chance. 

I was going to start a new thread that focuses on the build of the panel. Not sure the best place to put the new thread though. Any recommendations?

22 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

yeah it is hard to tell from those pics. Both speakers are aimed towards listeners. Overall shape and design still might change. I have cut the board base for the first panel. Now I will start mocking something up as I get a chance. 

I was going to start a new thread that focuses on the build of the panel. Not sure the best place to put the new thread though. Any recommendations?

I would probably start a build log for it, that'd be the best place to dump photos and discuss the process :)

Archived