Issue with SMD DD-1+

I doubt it's the equipment and I'm sure it's more my understanding of how this works.

Step one, trying to determine the maximum volume before distortion on my head unit.  Output RCA is plugged directly in to the DD-1+.  Everything is set to flat. Crossovers on the head unit set to "Through".  If I go MAX volume, Kenwood DMX906S, which goes to 40, I get zero distortion being detected, but the RMS V is still 0.0.

Also, it seems Unless I go to MAX volume, the tone isn't detected until around volume 39.

Does that seem right?  The head unit claims to have 5v outputs.  Something doesn't feel right.

Thanks

16 hours ago, xxedgexx said:

I doubt it's the equipment and I'm sure it's more my understanding of how this works.

Step one, trying to determine the maximum volume before distortion on my head unit.  Output RCA is plugged directly in to the DD-1+.  Everything is set to flat. Crossovers on the head unit set to "Through".  If I go MAX volume, Kenwood DMX906S, which goes to 40, I get zero distortion being detected, but the RMS V is still 0.0.

Also, it seems Unless I go to MAX volume, the tone isn't detected until around volume 39.

Does that seem right?  The head unit claims to have 5v outputs.  Something doesn't feel right.

Thanks

Weird. Are all RCA connections in the back of the headunit snug? are they in the right orientation, as in one pair of RCAs in each L/R of a channel?

Do you have any kind of muting of RCA channels as an option in the headunit? Mine can mute anyone I want but it doesn't make it abundantly clear at first.

3 minutes ago, will77530 said:

I have always had issues pluggin rcas directly into my dd1 so I just do it through the amp

now that you mention that i believe a lot of people have had that issue. 

1 hour ago, strangeduck said:

now that you mention that i believe a lot of people have had that issue. 

It doesn’t seem like the head unit has any issues. I mean, things sound good. Definitely getting signal to my amps. 

I was trying to set levels for each stage. I’m using a Helix DSP.3 and I was hoping to set the line level outputs at the DSP stage before it hits the amps. 

I was thinking maybe the head unit is still somehow enforcing crossover points, even though as far as I can tell, I have the head unit’s crossover set to “through” for everything. 

Weird.