Finding the right amp/s for mids highs

GeorgeLukas

When it comes to an economical setup, what AB amps are you guys liking these days for mids and highs?

I'm thinking about installing an 8" driver in my front doors. I will need to do a little customizing to make it work but hopefully it won't be too bad.

8" Pioneer driver 180 RMS

I was going to run 4 tweeters in addition to the 8's.

Tweeters:

3.5" Pioneer Bullets 100 RMS

Alpine dome tweeters 100 RMS

So I'm thinking my options would be to run (1) 2 channel amp to the 8's that can do 150-200 RMS x 2 and another 4 channel amp to the tweeters (maybe a 2 channel amp to the 4 tweeters and just run em at 2 ohm). Or use just (1) 4 channel amp that can do around 150 - 200 x 4 RMS. Run the two 8's off 2 channels and then wire the four tweeters to the other 2 channels for 2 ohms. Does this sound like legit options? Any suggestions?

What AB amps do you like (that are on the economical side) that can push 150-200 RMS? (2 channel and/or 4 channel)

I've been looking at these

Pioneer 150 x 2

AudioPipe 150 x 4

Any other suggestions are welcome.

speaker opening

My current Alpine HU

pioneer 8.png

Between the 3, I'd go with the pioneer and avatar.

Also I'd shoot for an amp that does about 50% than what you need for better headroom. That way amps aren't running full tilt all the time.

Like a 300x2 a 300x4.

Also you can do a 2 channel on the tweets. Not really any need for 4 channel as you just need left and right. 

@AaronT    so can I just use a 4 channel amp for all six speakers?

the 8's on 2 channels and the 4 tweets on the other 2 channels? 

I mean, I know I can do just about whatever but is there any real problem with that? 

The 8's would run at 4 ohms and the tweets at 2 ohms if I understand this stuff correctly.

In this case, maybe something like this would be appropriate. Its their better quality line and a bit more powerful than the Avatar.

Apocalypse 200 x 4

• 2 weeks later...

A 3.5” driver will work great with a 6.5” midbass driver, but not so much with an 8” driver. You will have a notch in frequencies. I’d prefer at least a 4” midrange driver in between the tweet and midbass. If you run active, you will need 6 channels of operation ... 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

Archived