Mismatched Sub wiring HELP please.

Since you can't return them anymore the best solution is to do one of three things.

1. Sell two of the subs, either the 2 ohm DVC's or 4 ohm ones. If you want to wire down to 0.5 ohm keep the 4 ohm subs and buy two more, final nominal load will be 0.5 ohms in parallel. Or if you want to wire to 1 ohm nominal then keep the 2 ohm subs and buy two more, final nominal load will be 1 ohm in series parallel. Expensive but you'd get two subs with warranty I guess...

2. Recone two of the subs to match the other two, see above for desired final nominal load.

3. If you really must, run the subs in separate boxes on separate amps. That way each sub receives on rated power, and does not directly disturb the others. However, you could debate whether they would cause cancellation from being slightly out of phase of one another... science...

Cheapest bet is to do 2. Recone. 

We all make mistakes but why risk damage to quality components when you could just bite the bullet for a mistake now and have it done right the first time?

2 hours ago, Lackheezy said:

Alls I was wondering is the way to wire these to get close to 1ohm.  Which I already have an idea of how to do.  Was just lookin for confirmation. Did I ask if it was a bad idea?  No.  I'm not some young kid.  Big deal if it doesn't work...He will buy 2 recones if something goes south with the proper matching coils.  I said we are going to work with what we have.  He ordered 2.  Then 2 more months later... They sat.  And can't return them.  I came in polite and asking a legit question and then the nonsense starts... 

Well Mr scientist. Yeah the amp will see one load but that does not change the individual resistance of each coil. 

Now off all wired up in one final load the lower resistance subs are going to see about 66-75% more power than the higher resistance coils.

It's not going to work right.

Xmax of one set is going to be way way more than the other set. Sharing the same box will make this entire situation worse.

But hey what the hell do we know.  

Archived