proper wattage for running components active

Toomanyhobbiesjosh

On 10/17/2019 at 8:34 PM, ToNasty said:

Not totally true. Ot all depends how you tune the amp    there are guys which I know who are running a zapco 150.6  bridged on a set of tweeters.  Another is running a set of tweeters off of a tru tech billet 4 bridged which is 300 watts.  It's just all on how you set the gain.  Usually in that case -10db will work awesome 

I dig head room,  big time on my mids/tweets. 

I ran a single comp RF t3 set on a RF T1000.1ad  One chan to each, for over 2 years. Never had a issue, and loved the sound. At that time, i was running the RF 360.2 dsp, which, i liked better than the .3  lol. That said, i liked my audison bit way better than both.  But, yep, your right. 

33 minutes ago, Kyblack76 said:

I dig head room,  big time on my mids/tweets. 

I ran a single comp RF t3 set on a RF T1000.1ad  One chan to each, for over 2 years. Never had a issue, and loved the sound. At that time, i was running the RF 360.2 dsp, which, i liked better than the .3  lol. That said, i liked my audison bit way better than both.  But, yep, your right. 

Headroom really doesn't matter to me.  But I just want to be able to use the amps I want and you can.  For instance my audible physics speakers.  The tweeters are 15 watts rms, mids are 20rms and midbass are 40 or80 rms. 

The mid and tweeter amps is about 125x4 and the midbass amp is 180.   It's all in the tune.  And I wanted to use these amps and speakers. So have no choice.  

correct tune, clean power, you can certainly run more power to drivers active. Stuff goes bad if you are clipping, running dirty signal, didnt pay attention to correct xover points like trying to run a tweeter or mid lower than they should and plain dont pay attention to the volume knob. I have seen some guys just crack on a volume know even when you could heard distortion. 

• 1 month later...

So if I have a 100 rms component speaker and send 100 watts to it, the tweeter hooked up to the xover will be fine?  Amp to 6.5 to xover to tweeter?

Does the xover limit the power going to the tweeter?  Or if ur sending 100 watts to the speaker does the speaker get 50 and tweeter get 50?   

can anyone explain how this works?  

Sundown NSV4 18"  +  Sundown SALT-4 Baby

MechMan Elite 370a  +  XS3100 - XP3000

SHCA 1/0 OFC(blue+  SMD Fuse Holders(blue)

Pioneer AVH-2440NEX  SHCA Pro RCA 

14 hours ago, Dragonsyph said:

So if I have a 100 rms component speaker and send 100 watts to it, the tweeter hooked up to the xover will be fine?  Amp to 6.5 to xover to tweeter?

Does the xover limit the power going to the tweeter?  Or if ur sending 100 watts to the speaker does the speaker get 50 and tweeter get 50?   

can anyone explain how this works?  

i think youre talking about a passive xover. if the set is rated at 100rms and you feed 100rms to the xover its gets split accordingly. im not sure how much to the mid and the tweeter it splits thp im sure its different per xover manufacture. someone smarter can tell you more or correct my comment lol

• 2 months later...

I had a similar question about my Kicker Q class QS65.2 components so I reached out to Stillwater, These are Biampable through the passive crossovers and they said 100rms for the tweets and 100rms for the Mids.... Probably won't run that much to the tweets tho. 

They are rated at 100RMS ran normally

07 Dodge Ram Mega Cab 3500 SRW 5.9L Cummins Twin Turbos (fraternal not paternal;) 3x 12" 11sL7 2DVC wired to 1.3ohm on Nesa Encore TS Power TE-5000D amp, Kicker 6.5 Q class Components front and rear doors on Memphis PR4x50 amp, Big 6 upgrade for dual Group 34 Yellow tops. Pioneer DEH8400BH HU. 

2016 F6B Goldwing infinity Kappa 50.9CS(factory amp) front and 60.9CS rear(Taramps DS 160.2 Mini amp)

Archived