Sonic Electronix

Okay so a little about my setup.  At the moment I have a single Sundown SA12 v.2 4ohm wired to 1.7ohm.   It is in a audio enhancer prefab ported box, and connected to a Skar RP2000.1   I have had good luck with this setup in a 2014 Toyota Camry, with no electrical upgrade, and stock head unit.  I have since sold the Camry, and now have a Honda Odyssey Van.  While the system sounds good, I find myself wanting a little more...  Since I do have a little extra room now, I have thought about the following options, 

1.  Build a proper sized custom box for my sa12.

2.  Upgrade to a single X or Zv5, would my amp be okay for either?

3.  Upgrade to 2 sa12's, in a custom box.

Either way I think I probably wont go up in amp size, due to not wanting to upgrade alternator.  I would possibly consider running an extra battery if any of the options would require so.  

Thoughts or opinions?  

Since you want to be efficient with your current electrical I suggest going to a dual 12 setup. I have two SA12s at 1 ohm nominal on a DC2k. If I were to redo my box I would have a side port and higher port area but thats just me. Going from one to two 12s will give you what you want... for a bit... then you will want more again. 

Building your own box is pretty simple just required a jigsaw, other tools will make it easier though. 

Thanks Joshdashef,  but since I have a 4ohm sub already, wouldnt I want to go ahead and match it?  Like I said I am getting 1.7 at the leads going to the amp.  Im actually going to go ahead and build a box this evening for my  single sa12, just to see what difference it makes.  I have a extra sheet of 3/4" Birch plywood, and have a layout in subbox.pro that should be getting me a a 2.3 ft3 total internal volume for 35hz.  I am thinking of mounting the sub on one end, and doing a 6" port on the opposing side.  internal measurement should be 28.5x11.25x12.5  Im just not sure how to calculate the length of my port.

1 hour ago, jmeador88 said:

Thanks Joshdashef,  but since I have a 4ohm sub already, wouldnt I want to go ahead and match it?  Like I said I am getting 1.7 at the leads going to the amp.  Im actually going to go ahead and build a box this evening for my  single sa12, just to see what difference it makes.  I have a extra sheet of 3/4" Birch plywood, and have a layout in subbox.pro that should be getting me a a 2.3 ft3 total internal volume for 35hz.  I am thinking of mounting the sub on one end, and doing a 6" port on the opposing side.  internal measurement should be 28.5x11.25x12.5  Im just not sure how to calculate the length of my port.

Another d4 sa12 would drop your amp to 1ohm (which is fine) and would for sure be louder but I guess you could just build a new enclosure for a little more bump.

Archived