Sonic Electronix

3D printing encloser for 10 in shallow mount RF

Folks, old school installer (when I was 16-20) Now I am just a geographer. I just purchased a 2019 GMC sierra stripped. But have a massive highend 3d printer. I have 2 RF shallow mount subs (.5 cubic ft needed for space) I do not like the prefab boxes and never tried 3d printing a box. I have a raise 3d pro plus 2 that can print 12x12x24 inches. I can print in ABS, PLA, PVA, PET and PC ect….. This bad boy will even print in glass or carbon fiber just never purchased any of that filament yet.

So I would love a design to try I want to put them under back seat (That flips up) in each corner firing down. I have a big ass newfy dog who loves to ride so I do not want him putting a nail thru the sub. 

My question would be what material would work best (I think ABS printed 1/2 to 1 inch thick walls) Box should be probally 11,11 by 8 inches but doing shit math in my head while my wife is in OR getting worked on (she is pretty sick) so this is taking my mind off of it. I have been printing for years and just never thought to try a 3d printed box. Any suggestions on design, material, tips ect….. please comment. I might be barking up the wrong tree trying this but you never know unless you ask. Ideally if someone had a design I would welcome trying it and letting you know. I can covert it to whatever is needed even if it is on paper I can make it an STL to print. Thanks in advance for all the help. 

Luke

5 hours ago, ToNasty said:

I am not sure about your question but you would definitely make money off me if you were able to make stuff for other people 

Damn straight. I immediately went to a 3D printer enclosure for my escape to fit a 12 inch subwoofer in there

I'm doing install in my 2013 escape soon would be nice to have access to some 3D printing or someone who can do it for us....

I would consider using glass or fiber for its rigidity.  id be interested to see how it will effect sound.  im assuming you honeycomb the walls???  depending on how complex you want to design the box you could vary wall thickness and add internal structure... what machine you are using and software? 

also may want to check out hexibase vids on the boxes he's 3d printed if you haven't already.

Archived