Question on 1995 Mercedes E300

Broom13

Hey guys so I am a little bit of a newbie into Car audio I just did my first "build" on my 2003 Dodge Ram not too long ago and after hearing the difference a sub, and some aftermarket speakers can make I couldn't wait to do a small, budget build on my daily.  So my daily driver is an old beater 1995 Mercedes E300, keep in mind this thing is a beater, it drives great, runs and gets good mileage I'm not looking to dump loads into a system on this car, because honestly once I get out of school I will probably just pull my subs, amp and go on with life and not worry about the door speakers and deck, and buy a better car.  But, anyways long story short.  This car is kind of an odd stock system.  It has two factory amps in the rear that I believe are extremely low power.  Although the stock system sounds not too bad, as I pulled out the stock system and replaced it with an aftermarket Kenwood KDC-X302 deck everything went quiet.  Like turned all the way up it probably is about medium volume of what it once was, so I'm not sure if the amp is even working with the new harness adapter (Metra 70-1786) now or if it is just running on head unit power anyways?  I have searched all over the place and have found next to no information on this car at all online.  So, if anyone could help me on identifying if the car is running on amp or deck power that would be great.  As well my next question is that the front doors are a really bizarre system.  They have 6" mid ranges in the door but instead of having a regular component set where they are tweeters on the deck they are just coaxial 4" speakers.  So, my question is can I just replace the 4" coaxials with a set of tweeters, and replace the mid ranges in the doors for better imaging and just use all stock wiring for that.  Or would that f up all of my crossovers and such.  Again, I am pretty new to car audio, so please be kind as I am learning!  TIA.

Sorry I won’t be much help. I did have a 1999 ml430 and. A 2004 clk500 but both systems stayed stock. They also both used an amp. I am not sure if all E series of that age used an amp but a quick search on eBay shows there are amps for sale from e series Mercedes in that age range. I don’t know the specs. You might search there maybe someone has either posted specs or the manufacturer part number which might lead you to the specs. Sorry I am not much help

You could dump whatever size speakers you want into the doors but I wouldn't go anywhere without ditching the factory wiring for the deck other than power run speaker wires from the deck or the amp straight to the doors And rear.

Do very well get a component set and make a little custom mount for the tweeters using basket out of the weird coaxial basket with magnet removed.

1 hour ago, slowfkncar said:

With those older model e class that use Becker head units and Becker/dual bose amps i usually have better luck with metra 70-9401, the factory unit has more output than the 4v RCA's which is why you lost output.

Ok, that is making a lot of sense now actually.  So if I hardwire it in instead everything will correctly right?

38 minutes ago, Broom13 said:

Ok, that is making a lot of sense now actually.  So if I hardwire it in instead everything will correctly right?

Yup, I must have done 40+ w124's like that & none ever complained, the RCA style harness with those amps can also sometimes introduce unwanted noise.

I usually prefer using rca's but not with that car, unless its just the single becker amp.

1 hour ago, slowfkncar said:
3 minutes ago, slowfkncar said:

Yup, I must have done 40+ w124's like that & none ever complained, the RCA style harness with those amps can also sometimes introduce unwanted noise.

I usually prefer using rca's but not with that car, unless its just the single becker amp.

Perfect man thank you so much, yeah mine has the two amps in the back so I will just plan on hard wiring it then!  It sounds like you're pretty knowledgeable about W124s then.  So if you have the multiple amps in the back is that the Bose system?  Thanks again for the definitive answer I seriously have searched all night for one!

Archived