Sonic Electronix

Advice wanted; Best bang for my $ in new car

So I just bought a car which, although it doesn't make me feel cool.... It sure makes me feel "smart" :) lol  A Prius LE, which so far is giving me an average MPG of 54. 

I'd like to improve my sound as much as possible, for the fewest $ spent, and I want to keep it as simple as possible as well. I'm thinking about a modest 5ch amp. Something like 60wt x 4, and 300wt x 1, to run a single 8" sub. 

Definitely want to stay with the factory head unit for now. If it were you, what amp would you go with ?  And where would be a good choice (In Sacramento) to put this together ? I'm thinking like $300 for the amp.... $200 for a nice little 8" sub (I might build the enclosure)  Would probably stick with the factory mids/ highs... until I blew them :) lol... and I could replace those myself. Its just the wiring I would not want to deal with.

Do you think $1000 might get me somewhere ?

I have 2 brand new tru technology amps I'm trying to sell that would be a little more than you're willing to spend but they are pretty much some of the best amps I've ever used.  They are also small and abouts the power you need 

22 hours ago, Mike4068 said:

If you are planning on keeping everything stock you do not need a 5 ch amp. Just get the sub and a small mono amp. You'll probably need a loc also if you're keeping the factory hu. You should be able to install everything yourself and stay well below your budget. 

Ya' know, to be honest, I hadn't really even thought of that. I'm sure that would work, but Id kind of like to have a little more clean power to all 4 corners as well, as like I had said, Id probably eventually (have to) change the mids/highs anyway :) lol

I will say though, the sound system in this 2019 car sounds "better" (although not very loud, and very little bass) than any stock system I've ever had in a new car. 

I'm really feeling like, with a little power, and a nice little sub to fill in the deep end, people might be surprised that this was all that I had :)  BTW, I'm thinking of using a CT8" for my sub. 

1 hour ago, AaronT said:

Youre more than likely going to get even less result with aftermarket amp to the factory mids highs.

Ymmv

Totally disagree.  More power will almost certainly add more depth.  He may not be able to drive them as hard and they may not seem as loud as they were with a fully clipped low power signal, but the speakers will almost certainly sound better, especially at lower volume. 

34 minutes ago, paidnfull said:

Totally disagree.  More power will almost certainly add more depth.  He may not be able to drive them as hard and they may not seem as loud as they were with a fully clipped low power signal, but the speakers will almost certainly sound better, especially at lower volume. 

More power doesn't mean better sound. 

Archived