Sonic Electronix

Hi! This is my first post and my first car audio system  so please be patient with me. So In my truck i have a kenwood 7706s head unit with 4 volt preamp  output a Rockford prime 1200 class d monoblock amp and a pair of ct sounds bio 2.0s. Wired in at 2 ohms. So my issue is no matter what I do I cant seem to exceed half the rated rms of the amp which is 800 @ 2 ohms. I had the same issue with my Rockford 500 and assumed it was just to small for the job. So general notes are truck has 160amp alternator  and doesnt dip below 14.3v on  40hz tone. 2 gauge power and ground wire. The ground is .2 ohms from the amp back to the negative  terminal  and the truck had the big 3 done. I checked the amp with a Fluke oscilloscope  and its clipping so my question is why? I have tried various media types from bluetooth  to USB thinking it's a signal issue and completely  reset all the settings more times than I can count.

I used a fluke multimeter  to measure the output  voltage  and a Kline amp clamp to check the amps. And I have been told that Rockford is a great brand and I doubt that I have had 2 bad ones. So I'm sure its something I'm doing. But I'm not sure what I got wrong. I should note that its clipping at half power.. the power is there but I just cant seem to use but half of it 

The subwoofer changes impedance depending on frequency as it's playing. So the amp doesn't always see 2 ohms. This will reduce amplifier output.

To calculate your impedance divide the voltage you measured from the Fluke by the amperage from the Kline. Try measuring at different frequencies and you can make a graph. That would be your impedance curve.

Archived