Deh80prs - questions

1 hour ago, reedal said:

Why use the passive crossovers at all if you're going to be using the crossovers on the deck/amps? Pretty pointless to have them at that point.

Not sure to be honest. My Hybrid Audio Clarus components came with them and they sound pretty good.

Also, when setting gains on my old kenwood I use to go in and put the subwoofer settings to like +15 and set gains from there. However, when I tried maxing out the subwoofer settings on this Deh80prs and then setting the gains, I only had to move the gain on the DC5k a couple centimeters... I went ahead and set the subwoofer settings on the deck back to 0 and go with the max volume of 61 instead of 58. I remember reading a while back people recommended to set gains with subwoofer settings beefed up on the Kenwood decks but I don't remember why we did this.

I read your old thread @

and it looks like you set your deh80prs with +3 on subwoofer level?? Should I set mine at 0 or 3? At +3, headunit max volume clips at 58/62.

DC Audio - Singer Alternators - Knukonceptz - XS Power - Hybrid Audio - Rockford Fosgate - Second Skin Audio - SMD - Sundown Audio - Elemental Designs

12 hours ago, moh.vze.com said:

Not sure to be honest. My Hybrid Audio Clarus components came with them and they sound pretty good.

Also, when setting gains on my old kenwood I use to go in and put the subwoofer settings to like +15 and set gains from there. However, when I tried maxing out the subwoofer settings on this Deh80prs and then setting the gains, I only had to move the gain on the DC5k a couple centimeters... I went ahead and set the subwoofer settings on the deck back to 0 and go with the max volume of 61 instead of 58. I remember reading a while back people recommended to set gains with subwoofer settings beefed up on the Kenwood decks but I don't remember why we did this.

I read your old thread @

and it looks like you set your deh80prs with +3 on subwoofer level?? Should I set mine at 0 or 3? At +3, headunit max volume clips at 58/62.

I would use just the passive crossovers and leave the amps and deck set to full pass, or if you want to use their crossovers then ditch the passives. 

As for the deck settings, after a lot of time testing and tuning to get the sound I wanted, I set the sub level to zero on the PRS that way I could use full volume without distorting the signal, and also if anyone else drove the tahoe they could turn it up without me worrying. Yes, you still need to turn the sub level up to get the max RCA voltage to the amp, but I went with simplicity over having to monitor my volume level. I do have an OM-1 as well though, so I guess I can change it up and see if I notice any difference with a higher RCA voltage and lower gain setting and monitor the meter while turning up the volume.

You'll have to determine what sub level/volume level you want to use. I'm not the only one who drives my tahoe, so I chose my settings to be universally user friendly while still enjoying it how I wanted

Archived