Recommendation for SQ 8" midbass

GeorgeLukas

13 minutes ago, BrokeAudioFiend said:

I know many people who run 3 inch drivers mated with 8 inch midbass with great success.

I dont understand why it wont work?

Do they stage and image their setups ?? Calling a system “Sound Quality” or SQ, and properly setting up stage and image is two totally different monsters ... 

reason I suggested what I did is frequency gaps in the spectrum, transaction between drivers since they will be so far apart, and limited left and right channel separation ...

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

SMD SOTM Winner "White Lightning" 1997 GMT400 Chevy Silverado   

"The Green Dickle" 1994 GMT400 Chevy "Phantom Dually"   

Randal's 2007 Chevy Avalanche (we haven't named this one yet)

Dylan's "Brutal" 17 Chevy Cruze RS Hatch                         

16 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

Do they stage and image their setups ?? Calling a system “Sound Quality” or SQ, and properly setting up stage and image is two totally different monsters ... 

reason I suggested what I did is frequency gaps in the spectrum, transaction between drivers since they will be so far apart, and limited left and right channel separation ...

Frequency gaps between an 8 and a 3?

Please explain

3 hours ago, White Lightning said:

From looking at the pic posted, you would be great going with a 2 way 6.5” setup ... that’s what I would do ... Just Saying 

I hear you. I know you know more than me about what would sound good. I just got it in my head that an 8 would give me stronger and better mid bass kick. Since I'm going to the trouble of sound treating the doors, I just wanted to make the most of the install. Just kinda feel like doing something custom since I already cut the grille out of the card...lol.

So you would just use a 6.5" mid in the door and a 3.5" tweeter in dash?

Maybe a 6 like this? CDT 6.5

1 hour ago, BrokeAudioFiend said:

Frequency gaps between an 8 and a 3?

Please explain

I posted up a thread for everyone to read (link is on my signature) that explains just about everything as I learned it about Sound Quality. I’m not going to repeat myself. 

1 hour ago, GeorgeLukas said:

I hear you. I know you know more than me about what would sound good. I just got it in my head that an 8 would give me stronger and better mid bass kick. Since I'm going to the trouble of sound treating the doors, I just wanted to make the most of the install. Just kinda feel like doing something custom since I already cut the grille out of the card...lol.

So you would just use a 6.5" mid in the door and a 3.5" tweeter in dash?

Maybe a 6 like this? Stereo Integrity 6.5... edit: nevermind, looks like their unavailable anymore.

It’s kinda hard to help you not knowing what “sounds good to you” with the 3.5” driver mentioned in this thread, if you have no plans to compete, and in that stock location, can stand alone without a tweeter. It will match up to either a 6.5” driver or 8” driver, but like I said earlier, tuning may be a problem with time alignment and frequency gaps ... however, depending on what your choice of sounding good means, will be the level of tuning you go through. If you go with an 8” driver, don’t Power the shit out of it and go conservative on the 3.5” drivers. Run them even on output (amplifier) Power and control volume with the source unit ... 

Kenwood / HELIX / Linear Power (For The Love Of Music) / Brutal Sounds / OverKill Electric Co 

Questions About Sound Quality ?? Try Here ... Sound Quality, What does it REALLY mean ?? 

33 minutes ago, White Lightning said:

I posted up a thread for everyone to read (link is on my signature) that explains just about everything as I learned it about Sound Quality. I’m not going to repeat myself. 

It’s kinda hard to help you not knowing what “sounds good to you” with the 3.5” driver mentioned in this thread, if you have no plans to compete, and in that stock location, can stand alone without a tweeter. It will match up to either a 6.5” driver or 8” driver, but like I said earlier, tuning may be a problem with time alignment and frequency gaps ... however, depending on what your choice of sounding good means, will be the level of tuning you go through. If you go with an 8” driver, don’t Power the shit out of it and go conservative on the 3.5” drivers. Run them even on output (amplifier) Power and control volume with the source unit ... 

I've gone through your SQ thread. It's very educational.

lets just disregard anything previously mentioned about what speakers will be used. I don't have to use the 3.5" factory location on dash. I could use that spot and just custom mount whatever on axis in that location if necessary. 

I realize people want people to do their own homework and figure stuff out for themselves instead of just telling them what to buy. I have been grinding the internet steadily for the last 3 hrs just trying to find what would be good 6.5s for mid bass. All I really got so far is these CDT 6.5s.  I just don't have the experience to know what is good. That is why I am here, trying to get some direction from experienced people.

I value your judgement way more than my own. If you would be so kind to just throw a couple speaker models out there that you know are legit, I would be grateful. It would just be some 6.5s and whatever else you think would complement them well. Don't worry about "what sounds good to me". I listen to a variety of music genres. I like bass that hits and I like to hear the high hats in the drums loud. 80% of the time I'm not going to have it cranked and will just want to enjoy the sq. Occasionally, I will crank it with a 2500w sub and try to shake my teeth out.

1 hour ago, White Lightning said:

No need to get defensive.  I'm just trying to learn.  What I'm saying is,  a 3inch midrange will have no problem pairing with an 8 inch midbass.  That's it.  

1 minute ago, BrokeAudioFiend said:

No need to get defensive.  I'm just trying to learn.  What I'm saying is,  a 3inch midrange will have no problem pairing with an 8 inch midbass.  That's it.  

Depending on staging yes.  But a 3" is most of the time a wideband.  

40 minutes ago, BrokeAudioFiend said:

Not being defensive. It’s all about applications with me.

There’s a lot difference in distance from the door driver to the listener’s ear compared to the dash to the listener’s ear. Which makes things hard to time align and make it sound like there’s a seamless transaction between drivers ... some may give a narrow stage width, which is not good. 

Archived