Sundown Audio

Amplifier Ohms Questions.

Kurt439

My Question is what are the benefits Of wiring 4Ohm or 1Ohm? What about negatives of both, I've read around the net but most topics was on wiring diagrams. I managed to save up for a new amp but I'm curious if I want to go 4 Ohm or 1Ohm, If anyone is willing to share information please do. My daily driver is an Alpine 10RWD2, I'm planning to build a Ported enclosure to Alpines Specs.

The higher the impedance the easier it is on the amp and can also increase the sound quality down fall is generally it will be less power

lower the impedance MOAR Powa but harder on amp creates more heat and if wire too low your amp can go kaboom 

The higher the resistance, the less power the amplifier will output to the drivers, but will have an increased damping factor, meaning the driver will be more accurate at signal reproduction (i.e.: the signal stops and the driver stops.) Lower resistance will allow more power output from the amplifier, but the damping factor will be less, which can lead to a "muddied" sound reproduction, though it will most likely not be noticed. The amp will also run cooler and be more efficient at a high resistance, but unless you're running a Class a/b amp, I wouldnt stress that too much.

14 minutes ago, reedal said:

The higher the resistance, the less power the amplifier will output to the drivers, but will have an increased damping factor, meaning the driver will be more accurate at signal reproduction (i.e.: the signal stops and the driver stops.) Lower resistance will allow more power output from the amplifier, but the damping factor will be less, which can lead to a "muddied" sound reproduction, though it will most likely not be noticed. The amp will also run cooler and be more efficient at a high resistance, but unless you're running a Class a/b amp, I wouldnt stress that too much.

15 minutes ago, will77530 said:

The higher the impedance the easier it is on the amp and can also increase the sound quality down fall is generally it will be less power

lower the impedance MOAR Powa but harder on amp creates more heat and if wire too low your amp can go kaboom 

Thanks for the tips.

Archived