Cheap Android Double Din and EQ?

Hello all,

First post here but long time follower of Steve and car audio. I had the idea of getting one of the sub $100 Android Double Din headunits that are everywhere on Amazon now and pairing it with a multiband eq unit, like a Clarion or something of somewhat value, and sending it to your 4 channel amp of choice. I came to this by weighing some pro's and con's.

Pros: Large good quality touch screen - maps - bluetooth - connecting a usb drive for high quality sound files - streaming capability

Cons: Sounds quality - not sure how long it will last - no sub out rca - just front and rear rca - no volume knob, only buttons

Why not use the cheap Android unit as just a display/interface and have the clarion to tidy up the signal and then run to a 4 channel amp?

Basically for ~$150 you have a 7" touch screen with all your modern amenities, plus an actual stand alone eq with your adjustments and sub level knob, as well as a master volume.

Anyone have any thoughts/experience with a setup like this? 

Thanks

so, i can chime in here as i recently bought, used, and sold an ATOTO A6 pro. https://www.amazon.com/ATOTO-A6Y2721PR-Double-Android-Navigation/dp/B07G7X2ZJ3

really decent reviews, so i thought i was gonna be fine with it.

The screen was a good size, clarity was nice, but that's the end of the positive notes.  the screen when on looks almost like a clear screen over the actual screen.  it's a weird effect but it looks like the actual android screen is about a 1/8" behind some clear touchscreen.  also, the touch points are too small.  like oh you want to tap something, well you missed and tapped something else.  this is compounded by the recessed screen thing and the fact that you'll be viewing/using it at an angle and not straight on while driving, or like you would hold a tablet.

also, the on screen buttons to do volume and whatnot weren't accurate or responsive for me.  I'm used to using the conventional, big brand touchscreens and the android was slow and aggravating.

as for apps, that part was great, it was like a normal android tablet and used the play store.  i never found a great music app that handled my usb connected ssd the way i wanted tho.  so i just stuck with the stock google music app.

sounds quality on the A6 PRO was actually really decent.  it was quiet tho.  full volume was barely audible with the windows down, but the quality of the sound was nice.  not a whole ton of adjustments however, so rather than an EQ, I'd suggest a full, programmable DSP.

the Pro came with sub outs, plural.  so I had to use a Y adapter, annoying, but i had one lying around so whatever.

for $150, you could find some great used deals on a big name unit on ebay.  I got an AVH 2300NEX for $165 to replace the atoto.  with a firmware update available from pioneer it even has apple carplay now.  

trust me when i say the android screen was annoying AF.  slow, laggy, and inaccurate at the driving angle.  I gave it a fair shot too, i had it installed for almost 3 months before i just couldnt take it anymore.  on the upside, i sold it on ebay for the same price i paid for it.

I bought a grand total 3 of them. All different brands, all under 300 dollars and none of them worked. First one didn't even power on, second one the touch screen refused to work and third one worked for about 10 minutes. The fuse kept popping, the rca's had no output and could barely get any radio stations in. All of them had good reviews. Don't waste your time or money. Just get a older kenwood for the same price with a 6.2" screen and decent bluetooth capability. your going to tear your hair out on some of those ridiculously confusing menus trying to configure your settings.

1997 subaru legacy outback

Four 15's in a almost wall

Rockford Fosgate t2500-1bdcp

Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on tweets
Rockford Fosgate T400-4 on highs
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midrange
Rockford Fosgate T400-2 on midbass

Optima Yellow top batteries
270A Singer alt (working on a bracket for a second) 
Lots of Second Skin

Thanks guys, after spending more time researching it seems like its not worth the effort to actually make these things sounds/perform well. They fill a particular spot in the market, but Im not willing to sacrifice sound quality at the headunit.

After snooping around it seems the Pioneer MVH-210 is a banging deal for what I was looking for. I was even thinking about getting a Dayton DSP down the road but the pioneer seems to have good enough eq/time correction(what Im really interested in). Only downfall is the 2v rca outs.

Im sure this is in another thread so apologies, but how crucial do you guys feel a 4v rca out is?

1 hour ago, SawDawg said:

Thanks guys, after spending more time researching it seems like its not worth the effort to actually make these things sounds/perform well. They fill a particular spot in the market, but Im not willing to sacrifice sound quality at the headunit.

After snooping around it seems the Pioneer MVH-210 is a banging deal for what I was looking for. I was even thinking about getting a Dayton DSP down the road but the pioneer seems to have good enough eq/time correction(what Im really interested in). Only downfall is the 2v rca outs.

Im sure this is in another thread so apologies, but how crucial do you guys feel a 4v rca out is?

i don't run anything lower personally.  hell i even run my 4v pre outs through an audiocontrol line driver to up the voltage.  higher voltage is stronger signal getting to your amp.  there is an audible difference between 2v and 4v pre outs in my opinion.

here are some options:

$95 - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Double-Din-Avh-p4100dvd-7-swing-face/113916604164?hash=item1a85f56f04:g:kl4AAOSw6D5dm9JT

$100 OBO - https://www.ebay.com/itm/JVC-Double-DIN-Radio-2005-Audi-S4/113936046504?hash=item1a871e19a8%3Ag%3AFMkAAOSwVZ9dslV~&LH_BO=1

$149 (look at used options) - https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-AVH500EX-6-2-Head-Unit/dp/B0794XXN6J/ref=sr_1_3?fst=as%3Aoff&qid=1573254144&refinements=p_89%3AAlpine|PIONEER|Pioneer%2Cp_36%3A-15500&rnid=386442011&s=electronics&sr=1-3

some food for thought.  also, if you take a little more time and save up to the $200 mark, a lot more options open up.  i nabbed a pioneer avh-2300nex for $189.  did a firmware update and now it has apple carplay n shit.  totally worth it to me!

Archived