Sundown Audio

Setting gains without fancy equipment and little experience

SuzukiGS750EZ

I'm Currently running Two MMATS ProCast 12" Subs & MMATS DHC1400.1 Amp and Kenwood DNX995S  head unit. I listen to hip hop mostly on amazon music via android auto. I don't think i've even come close to hitting my amp/subs potential. I "tuned" the amp with a 50hz test tone at 0db at 25/40 volume on the head unit and a digital multimeter, 37.42v. They feel like they hit less than my older hifonics subs do... The subs are wired down to 1 ohm. What can i do to get this amp where it needs to be with the little experience i have? I'm afraid to set it wrong, listen to music and BOOM. I just had the subs reconed (they're 20 years old) so i don't want to damage them. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, AaronT said:

So at 37.4 your at max rated 

I'd do this. Set your deck to 37 out of 40 and set your 37volts at that volume.

I never understood the half to ¾ settings with today's modern decks that usually out out clean signal at max volume

The last 2 decks I did with the dd1 didn’t 2 mod level decks 2 different companies 

Are there any other tried and true methods any idiot could do at home? I can use a Multi meter... i just don't have that ear yet... and i don't want to mess my stuff up. I know i'll gain experience but i'd like to get it close and safe. It seems really weak right now the way i have it. My DMM method obviously was either flawed or i did it wrong... crutchfield told me that's how they do it now.

8 hours ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

Are there any other tried and true methods any idiot could do at home? I can use a Multi meter... i just don't have that ear yet... and i don't want to mess my stuff up. I know i'll gain experience but i'd like to get it close and safe. It seems really weak right now the way i have it. My DMM method obviously was either flawed or i did it wrong... crutchfield told me that's how they do it now.

With out proper tools, (dd1 or scope) you dont know where your source starts to distort,... so, everything after, dont matter. For you, and your set up, ... thats why i said "use your ear".  Just set it where it sounds ok, back down when it gets squishy. It really is that simple. Dont let "i dont wanna mess up my gear" stop you. If somthing shitty is going down, youll smell or hear it. In the end, just get jamming. Enjoy.

I want to learn scopes floor automotive diagnostics more in depth... would this scope work well for setting gains? I plan on amping my speakers at some point too. I just don't know what resolution, etc. The scope would need for audio. This one's special for automotive as well so I don't see it a waste of money if I'll use it once for my amp.
http://www.hantek.com/en/ProductDetail_13_136.html

Archived