2001 BMW 740il Custom Door Panels

Some of you might have been reading my other post in the mids and highs section. 

I got the help there picking out my speakers. It didn't make sense to keep posting in that thread for the door panel build since that was started to find the speakers. this thread will focus on the build. So let's get it started with a few pics. I will update as I get a chance to work on it.

B14QTk4.jpg

Nothing too exciting. just pictures of the rough cut board clamped to the door panel. I clamped it on because I am going to turn it over and match drill the holes in the same location the factory pocket gets mounted.

5eqdUeN.jpg

I think you can just make out the pencil line drawn on the board marking the profile of the shape. I hope to work on it some tonight after work. 

You are NOW taking the action steps. Concept stage can go in for ever! Now the learning begins. Following your other thread i personally would have found a killer pair of speakers for the stock location and looked at making kick panels for mid-bass. But that's only after putting hundreds of hours into door panels & 2 sets of kick panels. What i learned was a simpler set up can be better. But we want what we want until we want something different. 

It's your build,  your vision, were just here to observe, enjoy, & be supportive. Tuned in to the progress and your review of set up. Keep up the good fight but be careful...shit can get crazy fast! lol  Tens turn into hundreds and hundreds turn into thousands with little effort IMO!  Ha Ha    

Sorry I didn’t get much time to work on it over the weekend. Here is what I managed to do.

wood profile cut out.

O8trrOF.jpg

j3e0CDy.jpg

After I got the first one, I used it as a template to flush trim another with the router.

DH5dmz9.jpg

Now I can start placing the speakers and aiming them.

imom2GV.jpg

after I got the angle set how I wanted I started making braces to hold it in place.

KMNUEEA.jpg

That is all the further I got. I did buy some fiberglass and resin. I cut out a mount for the dome mid but don’t have a picture yet, or have it placed.

Well I hit a snag. I have the outer circle cut out for my dome mid, but I was looking at cutting the center out of it, and it isn’t going to happen. I don’t have any type of shield or way to protect my fingers. I would have to have my fingers about 1/8-1/4 inch from the bit. One slip and it would be a bad day. I am going to have something either laser cut, or 3D printed to fit the speakers. Not a big deal, just means I won’t get a chance to fiberglass until I get something.

I am thinking about making the speakers inset with the grills closer to being flush, instead of a press fit cover to hide them completely. How much clearance should I allow around for the fiberglass and vinyl? Thanks

I sent out 3d models for quotes but I haven't heard back from anyone yet. The few places I submitted online that give instant quotes were kind of high for what I want. I do plan on purchasing a 3d printer in the next month so I will probably put this on hole until I get my own printer. Either way I will update as I make progress.

Archived