Sundown Audio

Test tones for subwoofer amp

SuzukiGS750EZ

Ok so here's what I did. I turned off all enhancements. I set the speaker gains as low as I could and high pass filters as high as I could to stop the 40hz @ 0db tone from damaging them, they made funny noises otherwise. Sw lpf through. The sw level i kept At 0. Anything more on the scope with 0 gain caused clipping. So I checked the rcas. At full volume it was clean. When setting gain, any movement of gain knob caused clipping. Lpf on amp was set to through as well. So I set my volume at 25/40 and set gains with 40hz -5db. I got the gain knob up past half, maybe 60%. So now that that's set... I'm afraid to blow my subs lol. What are the chances? And should I have gone with -7.5...? I'm confused as to why the SW level at 100% (10/10) gave clipping with the amp gain at its lowest setting. Just as having the h/u at 40 (SW level at 0) gave clipping with gain knob low. Am I missing something? 

I'm still curious about my last two questions but I went back to 25/40 volume. It's not practical to me to have it set up to 40 when my speakers don't sound great past 30 or 32. So I set my gains at that. If I hook up the o scope I shouldn't see clipping at all? Or does it clip momentarily often during certain songs just not enough to do damage? I'll be really upset if I start to smell my subs on my way home lol. I don't know what clipping sounds like

4 hours ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

Why would my amp clip with the gain all the way down & SW level all the way up? And why would it clip with my volume at 100% and gain all the way down?

Because your hu is putting out a dirty signal. Sw level should be all the way up. That controls the pre out voltage limit. If your hu says 4v preouts and you have sw level halfway, at max volume your getting 2v preouts. Make sense? 

2 hours ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

I'm still curious about my last two questions but I went back to 25/40 volume. It's not practical to me to have it set up to 40 when my speakers don't sound great past 30 or 32. So I set my gains at that. If I hook up the o scope I shouldn't see clipping at all? Or does it clip momentarily often during certain songs just not enough to do damage? I'll be really upset if I start to smell my subs on my way home lol. I don't know what clipping sounds like

Set the gain so that you have a clean signal. If you're using a gain overlap that is more than what the music you are playing is recorded at you are most certainly going to be clipping towards the upper range of your volume. 

I finally understand the gain overlap! Lol. I wasn't putting two and two together.

Ok. So on my lunch break today I'll try again. I'm thinking in my haste to get it set up I didn't do SW level until after I checked rcas. If not, my original statement stands then...

I'm unfamiliar with music production as a whole which is why it's hard for me to visualize why -7.5 or -10db is not as safe but -5 is fine and shouldn't cause issue. I normally have my music at full or close to it so if -5 it's safe... I'll run it. You guys know more than me. If you have any other wisdom or changes, I'll check back periodically

If you listen to today's rap music then - 5 is going to be the safest. A lot of this music is recorded at - 6 to - 7. My system is - 7.5 but I can't turn rap up to full volume without clipping. I monitor my system though so it's not a big deal. Let me know if you have any other questions or need anything else explained better. 

Archived