Sundown Audio

Test tones for subwoofer amp

SuzukiGS750EZ

So here's what i did. I put everything back to the way it was (no enhancements, etc) and turned the SW level to 10. 30/40 was clean, 31/40 clipped. So 30/40 with the gain on the amp down was fine, but with the gain even a hair up it clipped. So i turned the volume to 25/40 and set the gain. It went about 25% of a turn and the gain was set. I used 40hz 0db for the RCA's and 40hz -5db for the gain settings. In my equalizer i have up to 250hz at 0db, which should keep the clipping even more minimal right? So now at 25/40, what are the odds of clipping? And if it does clip, how long would it take to actually destroy the subs (or amp)? Like 15 minutes or like 2 minutes? I know it's a guess on your part, i'm just curious... anything else i should do? I set my HPF for speakers at 80hz and LPF for subs at 80hz. That's about it... besides the "enhancements" section.

The passive crossover that was preset from powerbass only passes the frequencies to the tweeter, right? So HPF isn't redundant? 

I have bass boost off, loudness to low, driver equalizer + off, space enhancer medium, supreme on, realizer 2 and stage EQ to middle.

Think all that should work for my setup?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everything on the hu should be off or flat except for the sw level. The enhancements are what causes the distortion in the signal. How far you have to turn the gain up isn't important. The stronger the signal is coming from your hu the less you will be turning up the gain. Especially if your hu puts out voltage at the upper level of the amps input range. I'm not sure what you mean about your equalizer. If you have enhancements on after you tuned the system clipping is definitely going to happen. How long can you play a clipped signal? Do you really want to find out? If you smell your subs turn it down. 

18 minutes ago, Mike4068 said:

Not sure what you are talking about here 

I put a crossover in the front doors when I put the front speakers in. The head unit speaker inputs went in as well as both the 6 5" and the tweeter. Having a crossover for those speakers in the head unit. Is it redundant or still needed? 

20 minutes ago, Mike4068 said:

Everything on the hu should be off or flat except for the sw level. The enhancements are what causes the distortion in the signal. How far you have to turn the gain up isn't important. The stronger the signal is coming from your hu the less you will be turning up the gain. Especially if your hu puts out voltage at the upper level of the amps input range. I'm not sure what you mean about your equalizer. If you have enhancements on after you tuned the system clipping is definitely going to happen. How long can you play a clipped signal? Do you really want to find out? If you smell your subs turn it down. 

Oh no. I turned all that stuff off when I set my gains. I was asking if after everything was set, if all that was ok? Everything flat sounds really muffled.

1 hour ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

I put a crossover in the front doors when I put the front speakers in. The head unit speaker inputs went in as well as both the 6 5" and the tweeter. Having a crossover for those speakers in the head unit. Is it redundant or still needed? 

You should have the hu or amp crossover hpf set to block the low frequencies the woofer can't play and the passive crossover will take care of the tweet if I am understanding your setup correctly 

1 hour ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

Oh no. I turned all that stuff off when I set my gains. I was asking if after everything was set, if all that was ok? Everything flat sounds really muffled.

I'm not sure you understood what I wrote. If you had everything off and flat when you tuned and then you added things after you are going to introduce distortion. When adjusting eq don't boost the frequencies that you want to emphasize, cut all the others. That will prevent clipping 

Archived