Sundown Audio

Test tones for subwoofer amp

SuzukiGS750EZ

Hey guys. I just bought myself an oscilloscope to set my amp gains among other things automotive related. My question to you is, how do I find the max volume my head unit plays clean at, what test tone do I use for my two 12's and since I can't disconnect my head unit powered speakers, how do I protect them when playing tones? I'm assuming my HPF will do that? I have both my LPF & HPF set to 80hz. Thanks! 

Measure a 40hz sine wave and see where the wave begins to flatten at the peaks as you turn the hu volume up. Back it off until you have a clean wave, that's your max level. Set your lpf to pass through when setting gains. Your hpf will protect your speakers but you will still be able to hear the tone at the upper end of your test but it will be attenuated so it's not too loud. 

So to review... I turn the radio volume off. EQ, lpf through & other enhancements off. Turn gain on subwoofer amp down as low as it will go. Turn volume on HU until I see scope wave square off and that's max volume? Then put on 40hz @ 0db test tone and turn gain until wave squares off again? All is well after that? I've been using 50hz @ 0db with a DMM to set my gains and it never seems enough. Safe for sure, but never where I'd want it. What's the difference between 40, 50, 60hz @ 0db?

Set eq to flat. Lpf to through. All enhancements off. Sub level at max. Play 0db 40hz tone and find clipping back it off until the wave is clean. That's max hu volume. Use max hu volume to set amp gain. Play - 5,-7.5,or - 10db 40hz to adjust the gain on the amp until the wave clips. Back off until the wave is clean. Set crossover. 

Archived