Sonic Electronix

Hey guys. I have two 12" mmats pro cast subs & a mmats dhc1400.1 amp. I bought an o scope and am looking to safely set the gains on that amp in my daily driver. I mostly listen to hip hop so was told 40hz at -5db was safe and I'd get the most out of those subs without worrying about clipping while I'm driving and not paying attention. If that's the case, where can I find a clean test tone? All of the ones I find are 0db. I've always done 50hz @ 0db and a DMM. But trying to do it the right way with a scope... my subs don't hit very hard. 

Question... if I tune with my o scope 40hz -5db, what are the chances of clipping with songs at full clean volume? Also, what's the difference between 40 & 50hz and -3, -5, -7.5 & -10? Do you tune at different hz with different sized subs? Or is it by genre? If I tune at 40hz -5, it's am safer than -7.5 but not as safe as -3? And is 50hz less bass than 40hz? I've seen 40hz mentioned a lot through the years but 50hz mentioned in the DMM tuning method (which I've realized doesn't do much) 

Archived