Amping 6 speakers on a 4 channel...

SuzukiGS750EZ

Hey guys. I have power bass 2xl-63c speakers up in the front doors and 2xl-693 speakers in the rear deck. My rear passenger doors have nothing but I would like to install some speakers in them from powerbass as well. My question is, can I run all 6 speakers on a 4 channel? I'm trying to keep on a budget & 6 channel are expensive compared to 4. The fronts are 3 ohm 120w rms. The rear are 3 ohm 100w rms. Any ideas on whether to use 2 or 3 way in rear doors and what amp will comfortably power them for not a TON of money? And what would the amp need to be stable at? 4 ohm?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

I would argue to just not put anything in the doors or only the doors and not the rear deck. It’s gonna be more work than it’s worth, imo.

I agree but figured while I'm running wire by the rear doors... the speakers are already installed, just running head unit power right now. 

7 hours ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

Ok. So I'd probably be better off amping the rear together so I could fade it? Is 1 ohm safe for those speakers? And what two camps (budget friendly buy not garbage) would you recommend?

Yes, if you are just going to be running the rears on their own amp the amp would need to be 2 ohm stable with those speakers. You just need to match the speakers impedance with the amplifier when shopping around. You can have an amp that is stable below the rating of the speakers but you can't have speakers that are rated below the amp. Rockford fosgate prime series are nice on a budget. 

8 hours ago, MrSkippyJ said:

I would argue to just not put anything in the doors or only the doors and not the rear deck. It’s gonna be more work than it’s worth, imo.

Having more speakers in the rear than the front is not the ideal set up. Having rear speakers for some slight rear fill or for passenger is one thing. If your going for just loud then pick rear doors or rear deck. If you are going for any real kind of proper staging the rears don't need amplified and could be run off HU power. It will be more work than its worth! Trust i been there, i did it & wished i had spent the extra $350 on anything rather than the rear. 

Imagine going to a concert and the whole time you had your back turned to the band. That is what your car will sound like with all sound coming from the rear.

It's you build and you can surely do what ever you want. This is just a suggestion from the 10+ years of experience learning about the science behind car audio. Making mistakes along the way, having others chime in and to help guide thru the planning and building stages of the systems i have built.

spacer.png

Rear deck in my Malibu build, trying to build more of a SQ set up with the equipment i had on hand. These will be running on HU power and faded for a slight rear presence of sound. I have deadened the shit out of this car. About $1,700 worth.

spacer.png

Rear doors of my Lancer.

spacer.png

Front stage.

spacer.png

Mounting of 4 ch amps. Right amp runs front tweeters & rear 6.5".  Left amp runs the 2 sets of  T2 6.5" Stereo Bridged @ 2 ohms , each driver in the doors seeing about 150 watts.  2 amps in the trunk, one runs the mid-bass speaker in the kick panel. Each 8" driver is getting 350 watts. Other amp run 2 10" sub getting 1000+ watts each firing into the cab,

This is my work car and it is very dirty in this pic. It is usually much cleaner than this. I swapped these amp out from the Power series 4 channels i had in here for the Punch series & these are more powerful by at least 25 watts rms. 

20 minutes ago, SuzukiGS750EZ said:

So what do you guys recommend if I keep the rear doors out of the equation? Amp rear deck or just do 2 channel front? I do want loud but if it's a waste of money what's the point?

I have learned to spend the most time and money on the front doors. I would leave them on Deck power for now and get your front stage the best you can.

Archived