Headunit Gremlin Problem

14Fusion

Hey guys, long time no post. So to the MODs sorry if this is in the incorrect location.

I am trouble shooting noise and have narrowed it down to something in my OEM Headunit. It is a My Ford Touch unit from a 2014 Fusion. It is not the Premium Sony system.

Headunit only:

When I pause a CD or USB I do not get any noise whether the car is on or off.

If I pause Bluetooth or mute the radio I get noise whether the car is on or off.

With Amp, AC-LGD and PAC LOC7-4 hooked up:

No change from above regardless of where the gains are set.

Now I have tried removing the headunit as suggested in the noise flowchart, and that made no difference to the noise or what setting it comes out on. I tried a new ground to the chassis from the HU but it made no difference in the noise. I went through and cleaned all of my grounds in the engine and applied some dielectric grease.

Basically the only thing I haven't done is replace the battery or the headunit itself. I am hoping not to have to tear out the headunit as I like the features and don't want to spend the money. 

Is there a possibility that the Bluetooth and radio antenna are connected somehow and are generating their own noise?

Any help would be appreciated.

Can you provide a better description of the equipment you're working with please? Is it factory mids and highs too on factory amplifier, or did you replace mids and highs and amplify them with aftermarket, etc. Where is the noise coming from? Sub? Specifics about all of the equipment being used and where you hear the noise at will help a lot. 

So I have replaced the factory speakers with Hertz Hi energy 6.5 components up front and Hertz energy 6.5 coaxial in the rear. There is no separate OEM amplifier all the power is currently from the headunit. I am using the OEM wiring from the headunit direct to the crossover up front or the speaker itself in rear. Just running in pseudo stock, with aftermarket speakers, I am getting noise, but not in all audio modes. So of course I will get the noise with the aftermarket amp later if I don't find that gremlin right now.

The noise is heard in the higher ranges, so tweeters both upfront and in the rear. I cannot hear a distinct separate sound in the mid range. It does not get louder by increasing volume, reving the engine or any other potential variable. It sounds just like a static you would hear on the radio, but wouldn't expect to hear is on Bluetooth, especially since it is a built in Bluetooth not a 'over the air' BT.

I do not have the OEM speakers anymore to test them vs the Hertz.

Once I have fixed the problem, I will be running from my OEM headunit to through a 'T;' harness to Audio Control LGDs, PAC LOC7-4, NVX JAD 1200.1 and NVX JAD 800.4, Hertz speakers. This setup runs some Stinger speedwire from the 4 channel back upfront to integrate into the 'T' harness to maintain use of the OEM speaker wiring. And allow me to easily return to my 'stockish' speaker only setup that I currently am in.

Do you have a different LOC you can try, or possibly remove the LGDs for testing, or bypass the crossovers (at low volume to prevent speaker damage). If you didnt have noise until adding the equipment, then it's likely not the HU causing the noise.

Try a different Bluetooth device if it’s only doing it with pausing Bluetooth or muting with the Bluetooth .. I’m assuming it’s your cellphone? Are you charging it when you use it try not charging it see if it’s still happens

On 11/22/2019 at 11:51 PM, CstrokerV said:

Try a different Bluetooth device if it’s only doing it with pausing Bluetooth or muting with the Bluetooth .. I’m assuming it’s your cellphone? Are you charging it when you use it try not charging it see if it’s still happens

It does it connected to my wife's phone too. I never charge in the car. Despite where I mute or pause it from it make the same issue.

I have tried connecting my speakers direct to the speakers skipping the crossover (just the mid not the tweeter), and it made the same noise on my non-wired options. I'm thinking perhaps it is noise coming from my antenna, since it is only happening on my AM, FM and Bluetooth. Though I am curious if the AM/FM antenna is related to the Bluetooth reciever.

let's find out what type of noise you have. when the noise is present does it change freq or pitch when you use other things (like lock/unlock, window up or down) in the car or push the gas pedal?

if nothing changes, nothing changes

You don't know what you don't know, till you don't know

• 2 weeks later...

The Bluetooth is stock with the car. 

The sound is not changed by anything. Car off or on, reving, breaking, locking, windows. Sound is constant in volume and pitch always. When the radio 'wakes up' the sound starts and when the radio 'goes to sleep' is stops. Those are the only two times it changes.

Archived