Second Skin Audio

Skar VXF 12" box

airofu

I've currently got a new Skar VXF 12" in a 2ft box tuned to 28hz, would there be a noticeable gain changing to a larger 2.5ft (or bigger) 28hz box? I understand it should hit a bit lower and louder which I am after, but will it be noticeable from a 2ft box which seems to be average for a 12"?

Enclosures can be sized to optimize output for your power, that said... what amp and load are you currently pushing it with?

If you're set and not adding power the sub might get some nice gains with a new enclosure. Keeping it around rated/recommended will usually leave some performance on the table... but beware... going too big might cause the sub to lose it's overall musicality.

Install/goals and compromises are what you need to address when maximizing and too much can get tiring in the long run Imo.

Low and loud is great but to me not if it only excels at chopped/slowed/rebassed... personally, I want some punchiness and Spl from my substage.

Goals/tradeoffs... 

My .02 

Still finalizing amp but looking at Skar RP-1500 - 1500rms at 1ohm, don't think I will be upgrading this. I do like lows and a flatter response...but I'm just wondering how noticeable it will be going from a 2ft box which seems ok to only 2.5ft in terms of output/lows?

15 minutes ago, airofu said:

Still finalizing amp but looking at Skar RP-1500 - 1500rms at 1ohm, don't think I will be upgrading this. I do like lows and a flatter response...but I'm just wondering how noticeable it will be going from a 2ft box which seems ok to only 2.5ft in terms of output/lows?

A RP-1500 @ 1 ohm?.. that amp will will only tickle that sub imo... personally I'd  go with a 2.5K or more wired low minimum to flex that puppy.

Regardless... upsizing the enclosure a bunch with that amp/load imo shouldn't hurt the sub... setting gains and seeking more output once done will be the major hurdle. (clip city)

Tuning low should flatten it some but don't assume it'll be flat.

Go for it.

Impedance rise is real and actual power might not be what you think.

Archived