AGM or LITHIUM

if you're happy with what you have, stick with it.   one advantage to lithium is weight savings vs agm.  personally, i say lithium because it holds a stiffer voltage, rests higher, and outputs more consistently with less degradation of voltage compared to traditional lead-acid.  but that's just my $0.02  I love my winston cells and 38120s

13 minutes ago, bmwking said:

if you're happy with what you have, stick with it.   one advantage to lithium is weight savings vs agm.  personally, i say lithium because it holds a stiffer voltage, rests higher, and outputs more consistently with less degradation of voltage compared to traditional lead-acid.  but that's just my $0.02  I love my winston cells and 38120s

What are 38120?

smaller cells than the typical 66160 cells.  all the big name brands (limitless, JY, Wolfram, etc) use 66160 cells in their prebuilt batteries.  it's infinitely cheaper to buy your own and buss them together.  66160s have higher aHratings than 38120s typically.  but both are good in car audio.  38120s for example work well in mixed battery situations, like say you have an AGM under the hood for starting the car, you can add a bank of 38120s to supplement in the back without running into any drain issues.  66160s tend to like higher charge voltages, think like 15V, and they store at higher voltages than 38120s.  if you add a bank of 66160s they will be constantly on a drain from your under hood agm.  so you can either add a BMS to them to keep them all topped up and balanced, or keep them on a completely separate charge circuit.

Join the DIY Lithium group on facebook, they have frequent group buys, deals, and a lot of other options on there to choose from.  feel free to ask questions too, a lot of the guys there are super knowledgeable and helpful, but just be ready to deal with typical facebook snark

38120 - https://batteryhookup.com/products/4-headway-38120-hp-3-2v-8ah-lifepo4-lithium-batteries-25c-200a-super-cells

66160 - https://www.amazon.com/1pcs-Yinlong-2-3V-66160-Battery/dp/B07P51WZ2Z

3 hours ago, escottl92 said:

Awesome info thank you for your help, I can get 38120 on DIY?? 

the best place to get the 38120s is that link i sent you, especially considering the bulk discounts they have.

you can get custom made buss bars and holders/packs from guys on the facebook forum, or you can make one yourself.

Take note of what operating ranges these perform best at, Headways go better with AGMs. Shouldn't run Yinglongs with AGMs. Also don't mix lithium! Each of these are different lithium types.

• Yinglongs (LTO chemistry) if you charge over 15v
  • Headway (LifePO4 chemistry)if you charge under 15v (13-14) 

Building your own you save anywhere from 100-400, depending on how much you spend on an enclosure or bussing. 

Archived