Looking for a short depth CarPlay headunit

TS1997

Hello!

I have a BMW E39 that I want to upgrade the audio in as it’s not that great. The first step is a new head unit as the current one barely works at all, the sound is awful and it has lots of dead pixels.

I want a high quality head unit that has a screen and wireless Apple CarPlay so I can use Google Maps on the screen rather than my phone. The problem is that my car has a maximum depth of about 10 cm (3.9”) and I’ve only been able to find head units that are small enough with wired CarPlay. A single din unit can be deeper as it’s only one of two “slots” that has limited depth, so a deeper flip up screen could work.

Do you guys know any high quality head units that are shallow while having wireless CarPlay? A CD/DVD player is something I don’t need as I haven’t used one in years and I’ll play my music through the phone.

Thanks in advance!

3AFA388F-929D-449B-BAF2-DD923099D1C3.jpeg

I have a 2001 E38 740il. I just finally replaced my factory nav unit with a kenwood DMX706s. I love it! CarPlay is nice and works great. The unit is really shallow and I had no issues fitting it in my E38. My biggest problem was the dash kit. They don’t make one that fits the E38. I had to modify one from a E39. No issue there for you.

just reread your post mine isn’t wireless CarPlay. They have one though that is shallow and has wireless CarPlay. DMX9 something I will check and post the part number. I didn’t want to pay the extra for wireless CarPlay.

i think the DMX906s is the one I was thinking about. It does have wireless CarPlay, but I haven’t confirmed the depth  yet. I thought it was shallow mount like the 706s but don’t see that now

Ok sorry I just confirmed the DMX906s is not a shallow mount chassis so I don’t think it will fit your E39. Not sure now what one will work if you really want wireless CarPlay. Sorry. I can answer anything about the DMX706S if you have any questions just ask. Good luck M8!

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look at it :) I'd prefer wireless CarPlay if possible but if I can't find any good ones that fit I'll settle for one with wired instead so I still get the functionality, just a little more inconveniently :) 

3 hours ago, TS1997 said:

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll take a look at it :) I'd prefer wireless CarPlay if possible but if I can't find any good ones that fit I'll settle for one with wired instead so I still get the functionality, just a little more inconveniently :) 

I thought about wireless carplay before. I didn't look into it much since I normally plug my phone in to charge when I am in the car anyway. For me the DMX706s Is Awesome. 

Not sure if you saw it or not, but here is a pic of it in the car with a custom wallpaper I made. I also put a custom BMW boot logo on it. the was connected over bluetooth not carplay, but you get the idea...

EcVcwrY.jpg

Archived