Sonic Electronix

Steve, I SO need some help !!!

I know my car is considered by many to be about as "uncool" as it gets.... but honestly, even besides the 54mpg, I'm freaking loving my 2019 Prius LE ☺ And for rideshare, I think it's absolutely the smartest choice.

Anyway, I HAD to have some nicer sounds, and this car is not even offered with a subwoofer. So I decided that it needed some aftermarket equipment, but I wanted to keep it as factory as I could, still be able to use my steering wheel controls, and not be cutting and hacking wires. 

So after a little research, I bought an Axxess DSP-X, and the Toyota harness. Also, I bought a Kicker 5 ch amp (going by the birth sheet, about 60 x 4, and 450 x 1) replaced all 4 of my coaxials, with mid level Kickers, and I got a Sundown SA 8" sub (what a beefy little sub !)

I built a pretty cool little ported enclosure for it, and I was completely anal about getting it to exactly .75 cubes, and tuned to 35hz..... even though I know the acoustics of the vehicle can change the tuning.

Anyway, I had a local place install all of this for me..... and now I have some issues. Im not going to drop any names, but I honestly just don't think they know enough about Digital Sound Processors, that it would even be worth bringing it back and hasseling over it with them :( In fact, when I went to pick it up, they had not even downloaded the phone app to adjust the DSP, and just told me I could do that myself later. Really ?

So here's my issues:

I was playing a few songs at a medium level, and some of the bass notes caused my mids to pop. Easy fix, right ? Just change the X-over point a bit higher.... from say, 120, to 150..... but when I tried this, it drastically cut out the bass from my sub woofer ?!?! Wait, WTF ? That's supposed to be on a completely seperate channel, right ? No amount of adjusting on my stereo channels should affect the sub channel ! Now I totally believe my DSP was setup / hooked up incorrectly :(

So, I ended up setting my X-over point only a bit higher, and cranking the sub gain pretty darn high (too high, I'm sure) to make up for the loss of bass to my sub. Gave me substantial hiss too :(

Besides all this, I'm sure my gains on both the DSP and the amp are all completely whacked :(

I would SO appreciate some SMD magic performed on my system. I think it has the potential to be a really nice daily driver / rideshare setup. Wish it was a "cooler" car.... But I do think the 2019's are a little better than they used to be :)

Of course I would just love to have The Man himself straighten out my setup..... but I know how busy you are Steve, and so even if you can't do this yourself,  maybe you could point me to somebody who could ? One place I checked said they could fix this, but it would cost me an arm and a leg, and it would take 5 weeks to get me in. Sorry, buts that's not a good option.

I'm driving this car 1200 miles a week, and this is just so important to me, but just don't know where to turn :(

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey TN, I think so.... But I need to be in my car connected by Bluetooth to give you a screenshot. I'll do that later....

But even aside from adjustmenting the gains up on the DSP, so I can turn down the gains on my amp, it still just doesn't seem right that any tweak I do on the stereo channels, should have any major effect on the sub channel ? 

I just feel like the first thing I need to confirm is that the DSP was installed correctly. Honestly, I don't think it was.

6 minutes ago, fishchris1 said:

Hey TN, I think so.... But I need to be in my car connected by Bluetooth to give you a screenshot. I'll do that later....

But even aside from adjustmenting the gains up on the DSP, so I can turn down the gains on my amp, it still just doesn't seem right that any tweak I do on the stereo channels, should have any major effect on the sub channel ? 

I just feel like the first thing I need to confirm is that the DSP was installed correctly. Honestly, I don't think it was.

Set crossovers and slopes as a start.  Depending on what speakers you're running.  Set gains.  And go from there. I'd be glad to help. Getting an rta would help as well

Well, I've already tried... And so my mids were popping, and I was 99% sure they were getting too much bass. Tried to bump the high pass up to 150hz and lost darn near all the bass from my subwoofer ? Dropped it to 80hz and my sub were crazy loud / clipping at a low volume level ? I think I settled at 120hz then had to crank up the sub gain. I'm telling you, I think the DSP is just not set up / installed correctly :(

Knowing your actual location would help with recommending a shop for you

2015 Mazda 6

JVF Customz 4.0 Proto 15>Wolfram W4500 @ .5ohm

2 Sundown Neo 6.5 + 2 CT Meso Tweeters (Front) x Kicker KS6.5 (Rear)>JL Audio VX400/4i

NSB-AMG35 (front) / 40ah Lithium Headway (Rear) built by Erni Audio & Electrical

I tried accessing the dsp through the app  To see how it works but I couldn't.it need's to  be setup and login..do they have all your channels grouped together? Did you get kicker comps or coaxial?  How many channels of the dsp did they hook up to amp? 

Archived