Sonic Electronix

Steve, I SO need some help !!!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, fishchris1 said:

Aaron, exactly what I would think..... Yet no amount of adjustments with the X-over from my amp or my DSP was able to rectify the popping :( I spent 3 freaking hours this morning trying :(

I have encountered this before while setting up a sound system. It sounds like the problem lies in the head unit but I don’t know for sure. I can’t think of what else it would be.

I am curious. How is your system wired from start to finish? Personally I do not use DSPs because they tend to be weird and apply to all channels or nothing regardless. If over Bluetooth, if your Bluetooth stereo or output device does not support A2DP, you’re not getting stereo sound but mix-to-mono out. That could also cause problems. 

Hey Chris, I've never used a DSP before, but in this case, I really didn't want to cut and hack into the wires in a brand new car, plus I wanted to retain the use of all of my steering wheel controls, and also, to keep everything looking completely factory. 

And let me just say this > The system sounds freaking great ! ....right up until I start getting that hideous popping in my coaxials :( At a few point throughout all of my adjusting, I have gotten it to play fairly loud without popping, but right now, I've made it worse, so that even lower volumes make it pop. And here's the crazy thing, yes, maybe there is some goofy thing with the DSP that is allowing some bass to get by.... but at the amplifier after that, I have used the X-over, and cranked the high pass all the way up to like 2000hz just as a test. It got way quieter, and sqawkie... obviously crossed over at 2000hz and up.... and it ef'ing STILL started popping like bass was getting through ?!?! WTF ? 

Oh and BTW, I actually called and talked for about 20 minutes with the manufactures of the DSP, and yes (as you mentioned above Chris) it is normal for the stereo channels to affect the sub channel, to some degree... (weird, but whatever) but even so, "after" the DSP, is my amp, and nme would think that no matter what was going on with the DSP, I could still use the X-over to filter out any unwanted bass to my coaxials ?

I mean, if I have to, maybe Ill consider some kind of inline bass blockers or something, but this just seems pretty dumb, and shouldn't be required ? :(

You don't need add bass blockers..those coax probably not made to handle the low end you are throwing at it.. especially if you are reaching high vloumes. Not knowing how your deck is set or amp.it could be multiple things. Really need verify everything how everything hooked up..is the amp set at full or high pass?

Dollerbilz, I've completely cut the bass out of the coaxials, both with the X-over in the DSP, as well as with the X-over in the amp....

But I think I might have figured out the whole thing....

I have crappy little stock factory tweeters that I did not replace. I'm going to disconnect those to confirm that was actually the source of the popping, and "not" the Kicker coaxials. If that was the problem, I'm going to replace them with much better tweeters, and new capacitors.

Will report back.

14 hours ago, Chris Storer said:

If over Bluetooth, if your Bluetooth stereo or output device does not support A2DP, you’re not getting stereo sound but mix-to-mono out. That could also cause problems. 

Chris ! This could totally be it ! 

I am using Bluetooth, and the installer did ask me about this, and said that coming from a different source, they cranked the chit out if it with zero popping !

So here's the $10K question....

If I use my phone, but with an aux cord (don't use Bluetooth) should that fix the problem ?

On 12/11/2019 at 12:20 AM, Chris Storer said:

Problem solved ! :)

And probably like a lot of car stereo issues, it was really simple, and kind of dumb that it took so long to figure out....

So, on the last option, on the last window of my DSP, their was a box labeled "sum bass from front and rear channels" .......which is dumb, as who wouldn't just use the sub channel, right ? So of course I hadn't checked that box... Well duh, my Prius, or any other Prius ever made, doesn't have a freaking sub channel ! Honestly, I don't know where it was getting the bass from, to sound as good as it did ? But checking that box made all the difference in the world :) Zero popping. 

Spent a couple hours after that tweaking the 31 band eq. That thing is a PITA.... But it's pretty much a one time thing so that's okay. And it's already sounding pretty darn good :)

Archived