Second Skin Audio

Port up vs port back in hatchback, is there a big difference.

Burnt Coils

I know this topic has been covered before but I think my question/reasoning is a little different so I'm hoping you can help me decide.

I am squeezing the biggest system I can in my tiny Honda Fit hatchback and still keeping the back seat for the kids. Due to the design of the car, even though it's a really small car there is still plenty of room for my two ZV5 12s but my issue is port location. Subs will be firing upward behind the rear seat and I'd prefer to also have the port firing upward so it's not hammering the shit out of my rear hatch and breaking it and also so I can mount my big ol' SCV-6000 and 125.4 on the rear of the enclosure facing the rear hatch. So I am wondering how much performance I would be sacrificing doing it this way versus doing subs up, port back.

I really wanted to do a C-pillar wall but due to the seatbelt setup it wont be possible, so this is my only option.

Thanks

So I played around with placement with a single 12" that is currently sub back/port back. I faced it upward (sub up/port up) and there didnt seem to be a huge difference but i dont think it sounded quite as loud at certain frequencies. This setup is tiny compared to what is going in soon so I'm not sure it's a fair test. I definitely have seen some crazy loud hatchbacks with sub up/port up but it doesn't seen to be real common. I definitely dont want to spend a ton of time building this enclosure only to be massively disappointed. Maybe I should just stick to the tried and true sub up/port back. Its just going to make my layout more difficult and not as good looking. What do you guys think? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Subs up, port up works good if it's all the way against the hatch, if it's against the back seat and a couple feet from the hatch it doesnt work as good I have found.

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

1 hour ago, Burnt Coils said:

Yep it will be tight against the seat and tight against the hatch. That's another reason I'm trying to avoid port back because the port would end up being very close to the hatch.

Yea just do subs and port up. Your good

18 Sierra 6.2 Z71 : 3 F8L's, DD M2a @.67, 1.95@33

05 TL build log SOLD

04 YukonXL : jvc kw-v51bt , RE 6.5c, 4 jbl gt5 12s, Memphis pr1000.1 5.5 cu.ft. sealed

• 3 months later...

With most set ups, sub(s) up and port up is the least loudest. The sound waves travel too much and dissipate as they travel. So more area, less sound. Even in a trunk where it’s tight spaced everything firing up would again, be the worst thing. But in this dude’s predicament of available space on 2 zv5’s up with port up will suffice and do the job. Subs up and port up is a last resort and something to settle for, not strive for. If it were me, I would find a way to make things fit and do subs up and port back. The hatch handle might have to be replaced after a pretty long time. But screw it, you will be beating harder and sounding better at the cost of replacing a part after a while, probably a long time, that is cheap and easy to install. But if you don’t have enough room from the box and the hatch then that could be a problem and port up and subs up will be the only answer and you will have to settle for that option. What ever your width of your port is that’s the very least amount of space between the port and your hatch the box can be. And I just googled a Honda Fit before I finished this post so my foot stays away from my mouth and I thought they were bigger in the hatch area. There is no way possible for that set up to have the subs and port firing anywhere but up. The port would be too close to the hatch if it were back and would affect the wave travel in a negative way. Your good dude. There’s nothing else you can do in that predicament and come out better. 

:stupid:“How can we help you?”
:guido:
“And don’t forget to tell them that 
the customer isn’t always right.”

Archived