Help with calibration using DD-1+ on my system.

Sorry for the long post.

I'm New here and I've recently had a whole new system added to my car. I just bought (coming tomorrow) a DD-1+ to calibrate it all because I don't believe the shop I got it at actually calibrates, except by ear.

My system:

Kenwood Excelon KDC-X702 HU

Kenwood Ecelon X302-4 four channel amp 

Kenwood Excelon X502-1 mono amp (for my subs)

2 Kenwood excelon KFC-XW100 10" subs

Focal ISU 165 component 6.5" speakers with satellite tweeters

Focal 690AC 6x9 rear speakers

The amps have,what seems to be basic setting knobs.

My 4 channel (X302-4) has:

2 input sensitivity (gain) knobs (I'm assuming are for front and rear channels) 

Bass boost knob 

Filter frequency [hz]

2 filter frequency knobs (again assuming front and rear).

A and B switches (once again I'm assuming front and rear) with lpf/off/hpf settings.

The mono amp (X502-1) has:

A remote control switch which I know is supposed to be turned all the way up during calibration.

Infrasonic filter switch (on or off setting)

Input sensitivity (gain) knob

Bass boost knob

LPF knob

I know that I set the input sensitivity knobs to minimum but the others I'm not sure of where they should be set during gain calibration. Also the head unit has an equalizer (I've got set to flat) but also lpf and hpf settings and a crossover setting that I'm not sure where they should all be set during the initial calibration. Can anyone give me an idea of what needs to be set where? I want to have an idea of what needs to be done before getting the DD-1+. 

I would appreciate any help I can get.

Edited by Griffscavern

7 minutes ago, Mike4068 said:

Crossovers off on hu and amps during tuning. Bass boost off always. After you set up your gains decide whether you want to use the crossovers on the hu or the amp. Don't use both. 

Thank you for that. That's what I figured and I've been researching this and watching YouTube videos on it, but none of them really go into much detail. 

One question for you, do you think it's better to use the the amp or hu crossovers? Or does it make any difference which is used? 

Edited by Griffscavern

3 hours ago, Mike4068 said:

If you don't have a cc1 I'd use the hu. The numbers on the dials on the amps are not accurate.

I really appreciate the help here. I was honestly thinking of getting the CC-1 down the road as well. In that case are the amp settings a better option or is the HU still going to be a better option? I've noticed that there seems to be a more extensive set of adjustments on it than what I see on the amps. 

One other question as well, sorry, gain settings on the HU, should I set them to zero or in the negatives? I'm thinking that keeping them at zero is what needs to be done.

Crossovers on the hu probably have selectable slopes but a fixed number of frequencies. Depending on what you like and need for your particular build you may prefer either one. It's whichever you like best. Use your dd-1 to find the hu max volume. If you can max out the hu, try and adjust the hu gain. You may or may not be able to. 

• Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

The hu does have selectable slopes and gains for almost every setting and, you are correct, there is a fixed number of frequencies. I guess I'll just have to figure out which does a better job at fine tuning.

So during the adjustment for the system gain leave them (the gain) at the factory preset zero in the hu and then adjust down to maybe get max volume out of my hu? I know I'm asking a lot, but I tend to want to know everything I can about s subject I'm working on.

I've also noticed that if I set my equalizer above or below anything but flat I lose volume. Is that normal?

Edited by Griffscavern

Leave those gains at zero unless you can max out the hu. Then you can try increasing them. If you can't reach max volume don't adjust them down. Just note what volume you can't play over. Adjusting them down will prevent you from getting full pre out voltage. That is not normal for the equalizer. I've never heard of that before. As far as setting eqs, don't boost weak frequencies, cut the stronger ones. This will help you to avoid clipping your signal. Keep it flat to tune though. 

• Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

If you get a cc1 you can use both xovers if you want a bigger dB slope say both deck and amp has a 12 dB slope if you use both xovers you get about a 24db slope as long as the points are identical m.. 

• Thanks (+1 Rep) 1

13 minutes ago, CstrokerV said:

If you get a cc1 you can use both xovers if you want a bigger dB slope say both deck and amp has a 12 dB slope if you use both xovers you get about a 24db slope as long as the points are identical m.. 

His hu has adjustable slopes. The cc1 is nice for fine tuning though. I just used mine today to set my new amp.