Sundown Audio

Memphis 1000.1 amp has power but....

NickJaymz

Hey guys, new user and poster here. Hope everybody is having a great day! 

Anyway, I have an 08 Mercedes Benz c300 4matic. I had 2 kicker comps(300wattRMS) and a Memphis 1000.1 amp installed. I'm running the stock flip out dash still. Now yesterday I was on my way home from work, and all was well. Pulled into my street, the song changed, and once the bass hit, the amp shut off... And won't come back on. Last time this happened, I had a short somewhere in the wires and couldn't find it. So had to have the audio store find and fix it. It was also clipping in and out. Now this time it just turned off and won't turn on.. it is getting power though cause I pulled a fuse to replace it and it sparked, which it shouldn't do, but the power light won't turn on. All my connections are secure, so I'm not sure what else to check. 

I would appreciate any help/insight you guys could give me. 

Thanks 🙂

If u have a volt meter put it on the positive and negative on the amp to see if u have power, put the positive lead on the remote on the amp that’s what turns the amp on. Have to check power and ground first.

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

15 minutes ago, Ron36 said:

If u have a volt meter put it on the positive and negative on the amp to see if u have power, put the positive lead on the remote on the amp that’s what turns the amp on. Have to check power and ground first.

Getting my volt meter later after work, so will do. But as far as I know some power is running to the amp cause when I changed one of the fuses on the amp, I stuck the fuse in and it sparked. Which is shouldn't do if there's "no power", correct? My ground is good, I double checked that first. 

Was the old fuse blown, I’ve seen fuses spark alittle when installing , same when U put the power cable on a amp for the first time. If the fuse blew that’s a hole different thing. What amp fuse was it .

2022 Ford Maverick on 22’s                                                                                                                                          Skar SK1500.1 on 4 Skar VD-8’s                                                                                                                       Mids Sundown Super tweeters, Skar TX 6.5 components on Skar SKM400.4                                                 LC2 for audio control  , XS Power D680 XS Series Extra Battery 

4 hours ago, Ron36 said:

Was the old fuse blown, I’ve seen fuses spark alittle when installing , same when U put the power cable on a amp for the first time. If the fuse blew that’s a hole different thing. What amp fuse was it .

The old fuses were blown. I tested everything, and it all has power, including remote cable. So it must be a short somewhere... Again. I don't wanna tear up my car but idk how they installed everything 😭 

On 1/3/2020 at 10:59 PM, CrackFactory said:

Take it to the shop that installed it. If you fuck with it they might not help you.

This happened before and it turned out to be a short somewhere in the wires. Which doesn't make sense as everything was brand new. They still charged me like $35 for a fee to "fix" it. But guess imma just take it to them and let them see. 

That's BS. If they did the entire install and there is a 'short' somewhere then they fucked up. You should find a quality shop that stands behind there work. Unless you supplied the wires or something and they suck then that's on you usually.

My shop would fix it under warranty if it was our product and installation.

1 hour ago, CrackFactory said:

That's BS. If they did the entire install and there is a 'short' somewhere then they fucked up. You should find a quality shop that stands behind there work. Unless you supplied the wires or something and they suck then that's on you usually.

My shop would fix it under warranty if it was our product and installation.

No, it's just them saying some excuse on why it was my fault. Cause at first they said I blew my box. Which I did, cause it's an older box. But that wasn't even the issue. Then I left and the short happened not even an hour later. Don't get me wrong they did a fantastic job, and I bought the wires and lp7-2r from them. But still. It is BS. Also the amp keeps blowing all the fuses due to power still being supplied to the amp even though it won't "turn on". So I know it's a short again. Its stupid. I just dont wanna tear my Benz apart cause I'm not familiar with the insides like other cars. I'm going to take it to them tomorrow and see what happens. 

Archived