Sonic Electronix

So i have been going crazy trying to figure this out lately, ever since i installed my subs i have smelt speaker coil even if i play songs for just 5 minutes, and i know its not the new speaker smell because after 5 minutes of playing the smell gets stronger so its definitely not the new speaker smell. So i was thinking it was my gains set incorrectly, so i used a digital multimeter to set my gains but it still has the smell, if anything it made it worse! I have a Skar RP-2000.1 and (2) Skar audio EVL-15 D4 subs, and i have them wired to 1 ohm. Anybody have any ideas why this is happening?

no good reason for smelly coils with that amp on those subs. get an o-scope or dd-1 and set your gains right because you dont know where your headunit clips with a multi-meter. 

tldr: you are probably clipping your subs to death.

15 minutes ago, strangeduck said:

no good reason for smelly coils with that amp on those subs. get an o-scope or dd-1 and set your gains right because you dont know where your headunit clips with a multi-meter. 

tldr: you are probably clipping your subs to death.

That’s what i was thinking about doing, picking up a dd-1... i was just very confused because initially i had taken it to a shop and had them tune it and i was still getting smelly coils from 5 minutes of playing so i decided to try and tune it myself and seems like i may have made it worse ... so i think ill get a dd-1

Cause i did the ohms law formula with the V=√P x Ohms, which comes out to be V=√2000watts x 1Ω which ends up equaling 44.72V so i turned my radio up to 30/40 volume and turned on a 50hz tone and i set my amp to 44.72V but seems to have made it worse.

Well did you mess with EQ, loud, bass boost it sub leval after you set gains?

30 out of 40 is definitely clean. I have yet to see a deck that distorts at ¾ of it's volume 

Meade tested a gaggle of headunits and even shitty boss and power acoustik decks had clean signal at max volume or 2 clicks under max volume .  This was with head units flat though.

2 hours ago, AaronT said:

Well did you mess with EQ, loud, bass boost it sub leval after you set gains?

30 out of 40 is definitely clean. I have yet to see a deck that distorts at ¾ of it's volume 

Meade tested a gaggle of headunits and even shitty boss and power acoustik decks had clean signal at max volume or 2 clicks under max volume .  This was with head units flat though.

Nope, had EQ’s set to zero while measuring and didn’t change it after measuring it.

Archived