Question on HO alternator size

The time is here for me to start upgrading my electrical and the first thing I'm doing is upgrading my alternator and front battery along with the big 3, but before I place the order I need to know what size alternator I need to get. This is going in a 2006 expedition and it's apparently extremely difficult to find a ho alternator from a reputable company. I've found a couple on Ebay that I'm probably gonna get. I'm getting a d6500 for under the hood. I'm trying to upgrade based on the power I will be pushing when I'm completely done with the build I plan on doing in the future. Currently I'm only pushing about 2k watts to 4 15s. The only time I have voltage issues is when I crank the subs up and/or when low bass hits. So I'm fully aware i need to upgrade. And soon lol. My next build will more than likely be 4 evl 15s soo, about 5k watts? In regard to my question, and the topic of this post, should I opt for a 300 amp alternator or can I get by with a 250 amp? I will eventually get more batteries in the back but until then, I'm hoping to rely on the upgraded alternator and front battery (and big 3 of course). Do you guys think a 250 amp alt with the d6500 will suffice, or should I get get the 300 amp alternator? Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

Might want to do some teaser March on this alts I’m too lazy but there was a thread on here awhile ago about them having a ton of negative feedback... 

I've never heard of them so I wouldn't know. There's another seller by the name of knalternatorparts. I've tried looking on mechmans site but couldn't find anything for my truck. Maybe I need to call or email them? If anyone knows of a reputable company that makes alternators for my truck, please let me know

If you know the efficiency of your amp or amps you can find the current that’ll be being pulled and that will let you know how many amps you need to supply... I= P/V  I being current/amps; P being power/watts; V being EMF/volts

And In order to find efficiency you would find that percentage in the manual and divide that into your wattage ... example If you have a 90% efficient amp on 5000W then it would be 5000/.90 which would give you 5,555 watts that’s how much power you would being pulling in order to over come power losses...so if you take 5,555W/12v you get how many amps you need to supply...462amps...if you are using more than one amp you do the same math for each amplifier and add your total Current of each amp to get your Current total...Sorry if that’s a bit confusing

9 minutes ago, xdq2x said:

If you know the efficiency of your amp or amps you can find the current that’ll be being pulled and that will let you know how many amps you need to supply... I= P/V  I being current/amps; P being power/watts; V being EMF/volts

And In order to find efficiency you would find that percentage in the manual and divide that into your wattage ... example If you have a 90% efficient amp on 5000W then it would be 5000/.90 which would give you 5,555 watts that’s how much power you would being pulling in order to over come power losses...so if you take 5,555W/12v you get how many amps you need to supply...462amps...if you are using more than one amp you do the same math for each amplifier and add your total Current of each amp to get your Current total...Sorry if that’s a bit confusing

I understand lol my problem right now is finding a good alternator for my truck. I can't seem to find one anywhere 

Archived