High output alternator breaking belts!

Need some serious help, I have a 320A singer alternator, running off a 4 rib belt (has a 6 rib pulley) with 300 AH of conventional batteries pushing ~3500 - 4500 rms full tilt. Running a gates brand belt at the moment and can smell it heating up when turned up through the AC vents. Kicker OFC 0 gauge grounding the second battery and main positive run between the 2 batteries. Still has only stock big 3. Would upgrading the big 3 really prevent my truck from breaking anymore belts? Can’t keep getting stranded places! 

What truck? How's the belt tensioned? Spring loaded or is it the manual variety where you turn a bolt? Verified you're sitting on the right grooves i.e. not offset?

FWIW I've had great luck with the gates green stripe belts. Can crank them pretty damn tight and they don't stretch.

I hear the gatorback ones work well too. Never tried them out though

2 minutes ago, SnowDrifter said:

What truck? How's the belt tensioned? Spring loaded or is it the manual variety where you turn a bolt? Verified you're sitting on the right grooves i.e. not offset?

FWIW I've had great luck with the gates green stripe belts. Can crank them pretty damn tight and they don't stretch.

I hear the gatorback ones work well too. Never tried them out though

2004 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4 cylinder. Manually tensioned by a bolt. The shop I took it to really cranked it down pretty tight this time. It is on the correct portion of the pulley, definitely not misaligned. Gates belt has been on for 2 days now and hasn’t broke, which is better than I can say about the other brands. Weird that this just started happening, ran fine for months until now. Also the belt is dedicated only to the water pump and alternator. 

• 11 months later...

Archived