Sonic Electronix

I have a 2003 BMW Z4-  10 speaker with no nav and have already replaced the head unit and will also replace and only use 8 of the 10 speakers. I have a 4 channel amp and sub that I want to add but not entirely sure how to connect the new amp, head unit and sub. I am replacing all of the equipment that I plan to use, so all new speakers, head unit, amp but would like to avoid a full re wire. Is there a way to cut the factory amp and tap into the wiring? 
does anyone have suggestions as to how I can get this done? 

thanks in advance. 

frank

I did this on a dodge dakota with factory infinity amp, lookup where the amp is located and go from there. I removed my factory amp and just spliced the wires from my new amp in, running 75 watts through the factory wires to mids/highs and sounds good to me. I did run 12ga to my subs but were talking about a pickup so the wire runs are pretty short wich I think makes it ok to go through the factory 18ga wiring.

I would keep the factory amp just in case you ever want to put all the stock equipment back in for resale.  I would look up the proper plug to hook up the factory wiring harness before the amp and jump it back to the factory harness after the amp.  Everything stays factory with no cutting or splicing.

Factory wiring is good enough for low to medium watts.  A lot of times people run new wiring because speaker location changed.  A-pillars, Sail panel, Kick panel, ect.  

Start a build log and take pictures so we can follow along and help if need be.  Good Luck

my honda civic had a amp bypass wiring kit. less than 20 bucks and you don't have to worry about splicing behind any factory connections

Archived