2005 Tahoe - No Wall 161+ dB Daily (8 12s, 40kw, kick)

The ZV318s were okay, but nothing special

I lost a couple tenths of a dB compared to the HDX318s, and lost a lot of lower end playability

but shortly after that, I found a good deal on 5 hybrid Sundown ZV315s, and had Alec Sajewski hook me up with a box too

spacer.png

ZV3 motor

U cone

U Basket

NS2 coil

ZV5 spiders

d1

I had a box designed by Drew Jones last year for the Denali, that I paid to have built and never used:

spacer.png

it was designed for 3 Wolfram AU 15s on 3 Wolfram 4500s, but I never ended up doing a real build in that truck

so here it was built by Correy in 2018:

spacer.png

and the same design given to Alec in 2019:

spacer.png

I thought it was pretty amusing to pay for a design and the box to be built twice... before getting to use it

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Around this point, I wasn't super happy with the G10 performance (granted my charging and electrical issues didn't help)

so I bought a G30

spacer.png

yeah bars came on backwards from Limitless... glad my buddy pointed that out before we hooked it up wrong

I also swapped from Eminence mids to Crescendo UN series:

spacer.png

spacer.png

doors got much louder on the same power, but definitely lost a lot of midbass around 80-200hz

at some point in all of this, I sold my SQ 7k and picked up two Wolfram 4500s..

then everything came together

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

added another diode, and got my voltage finally stable around 16v

spacer.png

because the subs were D1, with two amps I could either wire @ 0.75 per amp or 0.33 per amp

I wired @ 0.33 first and was protecting amps non stop.. so I swapped to 0.75 per amp

didn't have my real SSA APM2 meter yet, so I don't know if I got scores from this setup

I wasn't real happy with the power of the 4500s @ 0.75 per though, as you can see I was holding steady 14s on music.

I later came to find out that these subs and this box had about 3x rise... so 2.1 ohms per amp or so

I also found out that the reason my amps protected @ 0.33 was because I was losing a coil on one sub, causing my impedance to freak out

but before I figured all that out, I swapped the Wolfram 4500s to a VFL 18k, Audiopipe 4095 to a Taramps 400x4, and Sundown ZV3U15s to American Bass Godfathers

spacer.png

spacer.png

this was when I first got my SSA APM2 and my SMD AMM-1

spacer.png

Scores were pretty meh.... mid 152s on the glass on 10kw clamped. wasn't real happy, but I had switched from 3" coils to 4" coils

I was also very surprised at the lack of power from the 18k (38hz was where I started, and I was scared to turn up the knob at that point, so that's why the low power there)

while discussing all this, my buddy Jake Calvert suckered me into buying some Taramps crap

spacer.png

anyone who knows me knows I generally hate Brazilian (sub amps) - I've had good luck with 4 channels, but I've blown the following amps:

2x Banda 7k @ 0.7 each (not sure if my error or what... dealer told me I could wire @ 0.7, so I did - probably clipped to death as I had no indicator back in 2017)

1x Taramps 10.3k @ 0.33 (thought I was wired at 1.33... did my math wrong. amp did last about 40 seconds on music tho!)

2x MD 3ks (two different amps in different vehicles, both just stopped working one day... not sure here...)

so yeah. I was skeptical to say the least, but Jake assured me the MD line was the truth and I could abuse it for him as long as I got clamps, and he would warranty against any of my user error

in she goes - back on the 3 ZV3U15s

also removed a diode here (from 3 back to 2) - so that I wouldn't charge above 15.6v. didn't wanna risk blowing the Taramps

spacer.png

spacer.png

https://youtu.be/jK99IVSRNNs

From 3 AB Godfather 15s @ 0.67 on a VFL 18k... rising to 1.1 ohm and clamping 10,579w

To 3 Sundown ZV3U15s @ 0.67 on a Taramps MD 12k... rising to 1.8 ohm and clamping 10,724w

on the same electrical

I was blown away. Almost doubled my rise across the board, while keeping the same power, and improving score (duh here - 4" coils to 3" coils)

don't think I have any videos from this setup, as it also was pretty short lived

I did get some videos of the doors with the new Nendo UN 8s and Taramps 2000x4:

after I got the MD 12k in, I started talking with Jake about potential to wire @ 0.5 daily... and then talked with Drew to start working on a new box for either more ZV3U15s, or to swap to ZV515s or 18s.

Drew was pretty backlogged, and Correy messaged me saying he had a small window to do a build, so I whipped out my own hair brained box design

spacer.png

within a week I had the finished product

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

the box was done so fast, I didn't have the other subs reconed yet, so had to take care of that:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

went with 49" wide instead of 48" wide that Drew likes, so it was a much tighter fit with the battery

I just kinda eyeballed everything about this build, so when it came time to get the battery in, I couldn't do it without hacking up the battery box a little :(

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I started with the subs @ 2 ohm because I was scared

spacer.png

pretty damn good clamp numbers, 4kw+ @ 4-5 ohms rising from 2 ohms

but wtf was up with my SPL scores? couldn't even break a 49 with 4 15s on 4kw?

when I was reviewing video from that day, it looked like one sub wasn't working:

https://youtu.be/c7LRa9VO3qc

turns out one of the subs had a coil setup backwards and I hadn't paid attention

spacer.png

lucky I didn't blow a sub or an amp

once I fixed that, I gained about 1.5dB across the board, and was doing around 150s - 151s.

then I got real confident and wired straight to 0.5

spacer.png

and so far it plays music, burps, and takes abuse for 1+ hour a day and hasn't protected yet

I did a little write up on IJWB, but the MD 12k has been my favorite amp I've ever used

$690 MSRP - and much better deals from dealers, to clamp 13k+ @ 1 ohm, 9k+ @ 2 ohm, 4k+ @ 5 ohm? yes please

https://youtu.be/8NbgvjVpD1k

best scores to date have been:

155.01 @ 46hz on the dash - 1.4 ohms clamping 11,864w

156.22 @ 46hz in the kick - unknown rise and power

https://youtu.be/k7xZWveAQQ0

https://youtu.be/Hsm0xAVz0dY

and now we're all caught up

never thought I'd have a 155+ daily with 5 seats, but here we are. mainly by accident and just buying gear when deals were presented.

currently deciding if I want to add more alts, another G30... go for 5 15s.... work more on cabin gains... etc to see if I could get a 56+ or 57+ no wall

we'll see

• RedFred changed the title to 2005 Tahoe - No Wall 155+ dB daily (4 15s - 12kw)

american bass ftw!! all ive been running sub wise for going on 8-9 years now. Love what they do on a budget. Setup looks killer man! gotta stop looking at build logs, makes me miss bass that much more lol

On 1/19/2020 at 7:14 PM, bsneon98 said:

american bass ftw!! all ive been running sub wise for going on 8-9 years now. Love what they do on a budget. Setup looks killer man! gotta stop looking at build logs, makes me miss bass that much more lol

I enjoyed the Godfather subs, wasn't really a fan of the amps lol

but for sure, get a build going! always gotta have something

9 hours ago, RedFred said:

I enjoyed the Godfather subs, wasn't really a fan of the amps lol

but for sure, get a build going! always gotta have something

sounds amazing man!

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2020 at 6:19 AM, bsneon98 said:

sounds amazing man!

thanks! I'm absolutely in love with this door setup. I've never had a better one

sub stage is really growing on me too:

everything from 28hz to 55hz with a decent bit of authority (152db+)

but it's time for new stuff again

spacer.png

out with the 2nd row bench

spacer.png

in with the 2nd row buckets

spacer.png

2nd alt and 2nd battery on the way, and will be building a battery / amp rack between the seats this time

• RedFred changed the title to 2005 Tahoe - No Wall 161+ dB Daily (8 12s, 40kw, kick)

Archived