Second Skin Audio

Check my box specs please, won't play lows well. Frankenstein box question

Cbillings1985

On 1/17/2020 at 11:41 AM, dwpjr said:

According to Tores (the program I use) your box is about .8 cubic foot. Sundown recommends 1-1.25 for a ported box, so it's a little on the small side.  Also you have too much port area in my opinion.  My program says your tuning is around 38-39hz.  All that being said, you should still be getting pretty good output with that setup.

So based on the calculator I used if I were to attempt to unscrew the face of my box and cut between the baffle and the box to separate it and add 2 spacers of 3/4" birch then put my baffle back on it would increase my box size by .213 which already calculates the longer port increase by 1.5".  This calculator shows my tuning frequency to be 29.62hz, with no subsonic filter on the amp that is a little Scarry to me I may damage it? Top pic is with 1.5" added to the face depth of the box, bottom pic is current box with internal measurements but both calculations are based on internal measurements

Screenshot_20200118-180605.jpg

Screenshot_20200115-120426.jpg

So I downloaded Torres and winisd.  I failed miserably with winisd couldn't locate the box design part. With Torres it works great but it's hard to visualize the box.  The part for sub top/port top. For my off shape box it makes it harder. But I see where the box is for sure undersized and tuned to 38hz, needs to extend about 3" more out into my hatch and I will have to build a new box. 

Just with a wedge shape box I wish I could see a picture of the box it's calculating to make sure it's built right.  Just not sure which of my dimensions to put where in that calculator.  Any help would be great so I can design a new box

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys so quick question on this. I checked with Torres calculator and I'm tuned at 38hz .8ft³ Please let me know if this box plan will hold up?

I plan to cut a hole in the box removing the face leaving a 1" lip of the face all the way around. I then plan to make one 3/4" spacer and then a double baffle. This will add .3ft³ and add 2.25" of port putting me at 32hz. Will the box hold together?  Plan on glue between each layer and pre drilled 4" screws to go through all layers into the walls.

Archived