setting gain help

what's up. setup is

kenwood excelon ddx9906xr 

front: morel hybrid 602s component set

sundown sax 200.4 v2 for fronts

sundown saz 1000d for sub IDq 12

question I have is regarding setting gain. I have the original dd1 and the headunit goes all the way to volume 40 (max on headunit) and does not clip on 1khz or 40hzs. 

I know that amp is slightly big for the front set.

I went with -5db for fronts and -10 for sub. 

now when I play it it gets really loud at around 25 volume out of 40 the sub is not that loud though. it is playing, but the fronts seem so much louder and at only volume 25.

any thoughts on why the fronts get so loud at only 25 and the sub is really not doing anything at that volume.

crossovers are set at 90high and low right now

29 minutes ago, Twizted Cheese said:

Is the volume curve of the bass VS the fronts different? Not 100% Sure what you mean. 

not different. I guess I'm trying to figure out why the fronts get so loud at volume 25 out of 40. 

I'm using the -5db 1khz to set fronts, would finding a -3db track change it much? or is there something else maybe going on

6 hours ago, Snowy8171 said:

what's up. setup is

kenwood excelon ddx9906xr 

front: morel hybrid 602s component set

sundown sax 200.4 v2 for fronts

sundown saz 1000d for sub IDq 12

question I have is regarding setting gain. I have the original dd1 and the headunit goes all the way to volume 40 (max on headunit) and does not clip on 1khz or 40hzs. 

I know that amp is slightly big for the front set.

I went with -5db for fronts and -10 for sub. 

now when I play it it gets really loud at around 25 volume out of 40 the sub is not that loud though. it is playing, but the fronts seem so much louder and at only volume 25.

any thoughts on why the fronts get so loud at only 25 and the sub is really not doing anything at that volume.

crossovers are set at 90high and low right now

what kind of car? that 12 might not be enough depending on how much "help" it is getting.  What i am saying is, a 12" in a PROPER ported box, in a hatchback can get down pretty good.....but a 12 deep in the trunk, in a box it doesn't like and not able to get bass into the cabin might be a problem.  I have no idea what you have. Is the sub NORMALLY a lot louder? Does the amp have a bass knob on it? did you set it with it all the way up?  i feel like i would need the system in front of me to really help.  When you turn it up and are around 25 out of 40, what happens to the highs if you take it all the way to 40? If you can't take it all the way up or at least close to the top (you said the deck does not distort) than it sounds like the gain may not be set right.  If you CAN take it all the way to the top and the bass still is not loud enough, you might just need another sub and a better box.  Again, without it being in front of me it is hard to tell.

All SMD products + MORE available at my store here! https://wccaraudio.com/ 
wc2022-red-black-whitebg_1667625898__08138.original.png.02e514af82dce531edf1aa4a36851c60.png

Subscribe to My Youtube Channel! Over 1,000,000 subscribers strong! Turn on your notifications!
http://www.youtube.com/meade916

Follow My Instagram! Daily live feeds from the shop, exclusive content way before it hits my Youtube channel...and little squares with photo's in them :D
http://www.instagram.com/meade916

The Official SMD Facebook fan Page
https://www.facebook.com/SteveMeadeDesigns/

Follow my Tweet (Twitter)
http://www.Twitter.com/meade916

12 hours ago, meade916 said:

what kind of car? that 12 might not be enough depending on how much "help" it is getting.  What i am saying is, a 12" in a PROPER ported box, in a hatchback can get down pretty good.....but a 12 deep in the trunk, in a box it doesn't like and not able to get bass into the cabin might be a problem.  I have no idea what you have. Is the sub NORMALLY a lot louder? Does the amp have a bass knob on it? did you set it with it all the way up?  i feel like i would need the system in front of me to really help.  When you turn it up and are around 25 out of 40, what happens to the highs if you take it all the way to 40? If you can't take it all the way up or at least close to the top (you said the deck does not distort) than it sounds like the gain may not be set right.  If you CAN take it all the way to the top and the bass still is not loud enough, you might just need another sub and a better box.  Again, without it being in front of me it is hard to tell.

the car is a 18 camry. the sub is in the trunk. used the same sub in my 11 mazda 3 previously which was a smaller car. 

it is just a regular sealed box a local shop built for me. i do have a box being built by bobby gately right now.

amp does have a bass knob, but i did not use/have it connected when setting the sub amp gain. should i do that again with it?

when i get to volume 25 out of 40 the mids and highs are very loud. they are still clear, but i have not attempted to actually go close to 40 volume as i dont want to damage the morels because it seems like it would be way to much.

i think if i did go all the way up, the bass would be fine. even in a sealed box the sub does pretty good

it may be a gain/amp problem with my mids/highs 

doubled checked  headunit and it doesnt distort at volume 40 with either 40hz or 1khz track

think it could be a headunit problem also even though it doesnt distort with 40hz or 1khz? i have not actually tested what voltage i am getting out of the headunit. i was just going by the regular dd1 lights.

thanks for the help

The fact your sub amp is set 5db LOWER than your fronts is telling me your sub should sound 2-4x quieter than your fronts. you can't do real level setting without a microphone. "sounding level" could be as much as 3-6db variation at some frequencies.

In my experience, most car audio subwoofers are far less sensitive than midrange or tweeters. Usually a 3-6db higher volume coming out from regular speakers for the same wattage as a subwoofer. So I think you may have your amp Gains flipped. Sub amp should be -5db, front speakers should be set -10db if there are the same number of fronts, or -13db if there are double the number of voice coils (speakers) as the sub amp is pushing.

35 minutes ago, Epic said:

Hard to troubleshoot w it not in front of ya like Steve said, but my first thought is if there's a subwoofer level control, check that and EQ. Idk jus my .01¢

ya I am going to go back and recheck everything again. something just doesnt seem right with the gain on the mids/highs. may have an amp problem

1 hour ago, jamboi9000 said:

The fact your sub amp is set 5db LOWER than your fronts is telling me your sub should sound 2-4x quieter than your fronts. you can't do real level setting without a microphone. "sounding level" could be as much as 3-6db variation at some frequencies.

In my experience, most car audio subwoofers are far less sensitive than midrange or tweeters. Usually a 3-6db higher volume coming out from regular speakers for the same wattage as a subwoofer. So I think you may have your amp Gains flipped. Sub amp should be -5db, front speakers should be set -10db if there are the same number of fronts, or -13db if there are double the number of voice coils (speakers) as the sub amp is pushing.

Your backwards bruh.

OP, set fronts at 0 overlap, subs -10

What nominal load are you presenting the sub amp? 2, 4 ohm? 

Is that some weird ass dual 4ohm sub... if so, theres your issue 

Report back. 

Archived