Second Skin Audio

A shop built this tons of pics what do u think

4 hours ago, will77530 said:

This thread is amazing people have no idea what things actually cost 

i dont, i just do it all myself.

6 hours ago, will77530 said:

This thread is amazing people have no idea what things actually cost 

That's why i do my own work.  No idea what someone would charge!

6 hours ago, bcbrassard said:

That's why i do my own work.  No idea what someone would charge!

then you shouldn't be commenting on price.   

anyways you say its load and sounds mehh  whats the mehh part.... just cause it don't do hair tricks?  .... could try throwing more power to it then..   car its in ?    sure you are wired right?  

Sound Check Customs is a fairly credible shop and have a lot of big builds under their belt and have some pretty loud competitors and host a bunch of competitions. One of the vehicles they rebuilt is Gary Killians Excursion rebuild.

I highly doubt they used that tiny 14-16 awg wire inside the box and was done by the user judging by the other box in the pics with tiny speaker wire as well, and Im sure the lack of carpeting was done to cheapen the cost of the enclosure. 
From a shop that is so into the SPL world I couldnt believe that they would claim the single 15 would do hairtricks in a decent sized suv such as a Jeep Patriot. Hell even with 2 15s the hairtricks would be minimal at best.

The box comes out to be about 4 cubed after displacements and tuned to a high 33ish Hz if the port length is 25ish inches long like Im guesstimating with 14 sq inches of port. Fi recommends 3-5 cubes ported for that sub so its well within spec, though it could have been larger yet, but maybe there was space restrictions they had to abide by. Though the bracing in the port opening is not ideal its not really going to hurt output much and was kept to a minimum by reducing the brace from 2 layers thick to 1 layer and narrowing it down. That brace is most likely doing more good than bad considering its bracing all 4 sides of the enclosure as well as the port wall. 
Im assuming the sub is either a dual 1 wired in series for 2 ohms and could potentially have crazy impedance rise due to that tiny wire, or its a dual 2 ohm sub and your only using one voice coil. Those are the only 2 options to have the amp wired at 2ohms since the sub only comes as a d1 or d2. For that matter maybe its a dual 2 ohm sub wired in series for a 4 ohm load. 

Speaker wire has its limits:
14 awg wire is good for 12 amps /1400 watts, but that is at 100 feet so it will handle more in shorter lengths. Still a weak point though, and even worse if its smaller gauge wire.

$375 for that box that is double baffled, vertical 45s, and window bracing is not a bad price at all especially since its an actual shop that has overhead and employees to pay.

@Ron36 A similar D4S box would be about $640 for a single 15 box, you screenshot a single 12 box regardless its still more than what this guy paid.
As for break in there is no real such thing, though a fairly stiff spider pack will loosen up tons and a woofer will play louder and lower due to the increased efficiency caused by the looser spiders. Granted you may not hear it playing louder in terms of max spl application but you will definitely notice a difference in how it hits the lows.

11 hours ago, audiofanaticz said:

Sound Check Customs is a fairly credible shop and have a lot of big builds under their belt and have some pretty loud competitors and host a bunch of competitions. One of the vehicles they rebuilt is Gary Killians Excursion rebuild.

I highly doubt they used that tiny 14-16 awg wire inside the box and was done by the user judging by the other box in the pics with tiny speaker wire as well, and Im sure the lack of carpeting was done to cheapen the cost of the enclosure. 
From a shop that is so into the SPL world I couldnt believe that they would claim the single 15 would do hairtricks in a decent sized suv such as a Jeep Patriot. Hell even with 2 15s the hairtricks would be minimal at best.

The box comes out to be about 4 cubed after displacements and tuned to a high 33ish Hz if the port length is 25ish inches long like Im guesstimating with 14 sq inches of port. Fi recommends 3-5 cubes ported for that sub so its well within spec, though it could have been larger yet, but maybe there was space restrictions they had to abide by. Though the bracing in the port opening is not ideal its not really going to hurt output much and was kept to a minimum by reducing the brace from 2 layers thick to 1 layer and narrowing it down. That brace is most likely doing more good than bad considering its bracing all 4 sides of the enclosure as well as the port wall. 
Im assuming the sub is either a dual 1 wired in series for 2 ohms and could potentially have crazy impedance rise due to that tiny wire, or its a dual 2 ohm sub and your only using one voice coil. Those are the only 2 options to have the amp wired at 2ohms since the sub only comes as a d1 or d2. For that matter maybe its a dual 2 ohm sub wired in series for a 4 ohm load. 

Speaker wire has its limits:
14 awg wire is good for 12 amps /1400 watts, but that is at 100 feet so it will handle more in shorter lengths. Still a weak point though, and even worse if its smaller gauge wire.

$375 for that box that is double baffled, vertical 45s, and window bracing is not a bad price at all especially since its an actual shop that has overhead and employees to pay.

@Ron36 A similar D4S box would be about $640 for a single 15 box, you screenshot a single 12 box regardless its still more than what this guy paid.
As for break in there is no real such thing, though a fairly stiff spider pack will loosen up tons and a woofer will play louder and lower due to the increased efficiency caused by the looser spiders. Granted you may not hear it playing louder in terms of max spl application but you will definitely notice a difference in how it hits the lows.

This is at least something good that was brought up and someone can back up the credibility. I have another SP4 sitting around. Would you recommend myself going back to them?

13 hours ago, CstrokerV said:

then you shouldn't be commenting on price.   

anyways you say its load and sounds mehh  whats the mehh part.... just cause it don't do hair tricks?  .... could try throwing more power to it then..   car its in ?    sure you are wired right?  

I can have an opinion on pricing! Almost $400 for that box is to high IMO even coming from AK!

Archived