Second Skin Audio

Hoping for a little WinIsd help

fishchris1

So I finally got WinIsd to work... kind of. And I like the look of this enclosure, for two EVL-18 Skar subs, mounted Isobarically, in 104.4 liters (3.65 cu ft) and tuned to 28.5 hz. Here's a screen shot of how that looks

Oh btw, I did use the Isobaric feature, and it is working with that. It just doesn't draw the face to face arrangement on the page. Not a big deal.

Only thing is, I'm not going to do this as a standard vented enclosure, but rather, with Passive radiators. But when I tried to do the passive radiator feature, WinIsd failed :( image.gif.056afa282a3b2ce4cf5c5ec00be92c31.gif I'm probably not inputting something it needs, or inputting something wrong.

But anyway, here are the parameters for the subs;

www.skaraudio.com

EVL-18 | 18" 2,500 Watt Max Power Car Subwoofer

Engineered in the USA, the Skar Audio EVL-18 2,500 watt dual voice coil subwoofer is in a league of it's own when it comes to power and low end response. Features a 3" high temperature voice coil and advanced air flow cooling design for maximum power handling and bass output.
www.skaraudio.com www.skaraudio.com

And here are the parameters for the two Passive Radiators;

Im pretty confident that if I were to just build a 3.65 cu ft enclosure, and run the PR's instead of a port, that I could then tune them to 28.5 hz and be all good.

My only two pauses are, 1) Would WinIsd choose a different enclosure size based on PR's than it does with vented ? And 2) would two of these PR's be sufficient for these subs mounted Isobarically in this sized enclosure ?

i would really appreciate someone's help with this. Thank you.

image.gif

Well first off, Windows is totally fighting me with downloading that.... and even Adding WinIsd, caused me to catch a bunch of crap that I had to uninstall :( So unless you knew for sure that Hornresp would do what I need it to, I'm really not wanting to Ef' with unwanted downloaded crap / viruses, etc

And honestly, when I read about Hornresp, it seems a lot more like its designed for... um... horns... or maybe transmission lines. I read 19 pages of crap about Hornresp, and never saw one mention of "Passive Radiators". 

I ended up figuring it out on my own. I mean, if anyone wants to check my work, that would still be great. But for my build, I'm going with 3 cu ft, tuned to 31 hz. The two PR's will be weighted with 375 gms. Looks to be a very musical box, with a 2 db rise right at 31 hz. I know there are going to be a lot of "louder" dual 18" setups out there, but I'm hoping this will be super musical, and great for a daily driver :) Going be pushing my subs with the Wolfram 2400.1

Wahoo.jpg

Wahoo 2.jpg

Hey, I dont even know how many people have looked at this... Or care about it, but I've actually had a change of plans... I've decided to go considerably larger, as I can keep my response a lot flatter, and get a considerable boost with deep bass, by going from 3 cubes, all the way up to 5 cubes ! Remodeled everything in WinIsd Pro, and this is what I came up with....

Check they excursion on my two 15" Passive Radiators ! Those things are going be jumping like 55mm's of their possible 60 :) Whoo Hoo :)

5 box driver.jpg

5 box PR.jpg

5 box.jpg

5 box driver excursion.jpg

5 box PR excursion.jpg

PS, It doesn't really say so, but the second to last shot here is the driver excursion. The last one is the excursion of the PR's... slappin' ;)

Hey Strangeduck, PR's are actually pretty simple. They end up costing a very small amount of loudness...  like only 1 or 2 db's if done correctly, but totally eliminate any kind of port noise + do away with the need for a big long port(s)

I mean, if I had to try to use only the parameters, and calculate everything long hand, I'd be freaking dead in the water, but much thanks to WinIsd Pro, once you get all of your sub + PR parameters manually inputted, you can quickly and easily try 15 different things :) And whats even more helpful, is that you can save any of the setups that look promising, pull them up later, and start from there, tweaking them in any direction. If you hit on something that looks even better, you can save that, under a new name :) Its like magic :)

I will definitely post build pics, and shots of the finished product as well.... and then give it a Fish Chris score :) lol

PS, If I remember correctly, those big. crazy towers that Steve M. has in his shop, have two powered 18"s and two passives, each. If this is true, Id love to have Steve give us a few of the details on that. BTW, I heard those towers in person several years ago, and those things were ridiculous ! Concerts wish they sounded that good :)  Blew your freaking pants legs around :) lol

Archived