Second Skin Audio

Looking for my next subs.

Scotnemily

yeah,  I guess I just haven't looked into the DD-1 enough to sell my self on it. I have thought about it, but seemed like it was something i didn't need or might use once. Maybe I am wrong and need to look at it a little more.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

yeah,  I guess I just haven't looked into the DD-1 enough to sell my self on it. I have thought about it, but seemed like it was something i didn't need or might use once. Maybe I am wrong and need to look at it a little more.

See them going for around $150 used and they r $190 new ( older one) so what's $40 to properly tune ur amps ya know? I'd never get rid of one once I get one because I do a few installs every week so I'd need it repeatedly.

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

I have been reading some on the DD-1+ looks like it might be worth the difference in price...

so you want subs that can take 2k all day, why not just step up to the American bass HDs?  I know the XFLs can take almost 2k daily, I wouldn't doubt the XRs could for sure.  Like these guys are saying, instead of spending money on new subs, buy a DD1 and set your amp to .5 and set your gains correctly and you should have nothing to worry about

I guess my biggest issue i am having is what the DD-11 is actually doing for me I don't already have. I have a clip indicator on the amp. I keep it below clipping. Since I have an amp I think can over power my subs when ran at .5 ohms I have to keep the gains lower on the amp then what would be clipping anyway. If I used a DD-1 and set it right below clipping I could be putting out a lot more power then needed. So that would mean setting my gains lower. Lower would mean I have less chance or ever clipping. I just can't see what the DD-1 is going to help me with. Maybe I am missing it.... I would like one I think the SMD stuff is nice and I am sure it works very well. I also believe Steve stands behind his stuff. For me though with my current amp and subs, what would a DD-1 do for me?

I looked at the HD subs when I was looking at the XR's I don't like the light grey foam on them. I know It shouldn't matter, but I don't like the way they look. Not that I can really see the subs currently. It just is a mental block I have with them. Doesn't have to make since if I can't get past it...

37 minutes ago, Scotnemily said:

I guess my biggest issue i am having is what the DD-11 is actually doing for me I don't already have. I have a clip indicator on the amp. I keep it below clipping. Since I have an amp I think can over power my subs when ran at .5 ohms I have to keep the gains lower on the amp then what would be clipping anyway. If I used a DD-1 and set it right below clipping I could be putting out a lot more power then needed. So that would mean setting my gains lower. Lower would mean I have less chance or ever clipping. I just can't see what the DD-1 is going to help me with. Maybe I am missing it.... I would like one I think the SMD stuff is nice and I am sure it works very well. I also believe Steve stands behind his stuff. For me though with my current amp and subs, what would a DD-1 do for me?

I looked at the HD subs when I was looking at the XR's I don't like the light grey foam on them. I know It shouldn't matter, but I don't like the way they look. Not that I can really see the subs currently. It just is a mental block I have with them. Doesn't have to make since if I can't get past it...

Man this mirrors the exact same argument I go through in my own head lol! Gotta look good idc what the specs are or how much better they are! I totally get it man, but I can vouch for the xfl taking double rms clean power for over 2 years now, and I'm willing to sacrifice a left nut that the xrs will do the same for ya. As long as it's clean power they thrive on it! Let us know what you end up doing tho, ND where are the vids of the xr in that sweet box you built????? On a side note I was looking at 4 of the hds2 15s and couldn't get over the stamped basket so I went with 3 of the new tnts cause they look bad ass even though the cast basket will be in a box, I'll know it looks sweet!

2009 Silverado 1500, 7.5" lift, 37x12.50r17s, Built Gen 4 5.3L ( 4.8l flat pistons, decked 243s, SS2 Cam, Pac 1218 springs, ported intake, 120mm TB, Long tubes, 3" duals HP tuner software tuned by me), 4l80e swapped and 4.56 gears. All done by me. stereo is Pioneer avh 600ex, all stinger rca, jp23 v1.5, skar rp150.4, and hertz hpd4. 2 SHCA 6.5 8ohm, 1 SHCA 3.5", and 1 DS18 tw120pro in each door. The 3.5 mid and 3.5" tweeters are powered by the skar rp150.4, the 6.5s are powered by the hertz bridged @4 ohms. Dual runs   of 3/0 welding cable, 300a alternator, 2 Vmax AGMs up front. current sub is a AB XR 12 ( dual 2 ohm) with bottom spider cut out in 2.25 cubes at 32hz

I'll try to take a video on my lunch break. :) I haven't taken many pictures or anything because it doesn't look pretty and finished. As far as looks go I can't get past those Darn Deaf Bonce Apocalypse subs the Sa312's. I might end up getting one just to hold on my lap while I watch TV lol. they are beautiful :)

Sorry not the best quality videos... I will try to get something else up tomorrow. 

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0pak5x1aSZwyj2KvA2tTv4GJg

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0E4AD_CsDh8N3o--5Aq5B0_xA

Man give them sum power! They r napping on the 950rms lol, wake em up ND make em work! Box is definantly sweet tho man!

Archived